Why do I run out of fuel with a quarter tank left?

/ Why do I run out of fuel with a quarter tank left? #1  

BigEddy

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 855, 322, AMT626 plus whatever my son dragged home this month
Every time my 855 gets to about a quarter tank of diesel , it starves, coughs and dies. First time it happened, I figured it was a blocked fuel filter, so changed it, filled the tank, bled the lines and everything was fine. A week later - same thing happened. Looked in tank - 1/4 full but Filter bowl was half empty. Filter was still fine. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifFilled tank, bled lines (again!) and off we go.

What could be happening? What can I do about it? Didn't use to happen.

Thanks

/ Why do I run out of fuel with a quarter tank left? #2  
Does it have an in-tank filter (screen)? My Ford has it and has to be cleaned periodically or I get the same problem.

/ Why do I run out of fuel with a quarter tank left? #3  
<font color="blue">...What could be happening?...</font>

Perhaps some debris settled at the bottom of the fuel tank, restricting the fuel outlet port of the tank...?

Since you already know how to bleed the lines (now an expert.../forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)... drain the tank dry... look into the tank with a flashlight for junk/debris... (you'll also know something right away, when you are draining it into a container, by noticing the "fuel discharge rate"... slow/sluggish/erratic something blocking/restricting the outlet, etc.)

The other avenue of attack would be debris in the fuel line up to or even after the fuel filter assembly...

/ Why do I run out of fuel with a quarter tank left? #4  
Re: Why do I run out of fuel with a quarter tank l

Using it on slopes ? once it sucks air it is all over, and the bowl/filter will hold trapped air.

/ Why do I run out of fuel with a quarter tank left? #5  
What does it do if you remove the fuel cap? Perhaps vent is plugged and you are creating a vacuum as fuel runs low.

/ Why do I run out of fuel with a quarter tank left?
I should have given more info. I looked into the tank, fuel is clean, can see the inlet screen, it's lying on the bottom of the tank, with at least 2" of fuel above it, looks clean too.

I live on slopes so I'm always using it on slopes, and yes it usually seems to be after a downslope that it quits, BUT we're not talking anything too steep here. Come to think of it, the screen lies at the back of the tank so sloping down makes sense. I'll check how much "slop" there is in the tank on the same slope next couple of days see if that could be it.

Only other thing I can think of is a crack in the hose about 1/4 tank up.

Thanks

/ Why do I run out of fuel with a quarter tank left? #7  
My skidsteer used to do the same thing but with a half a tank left. I went through everything. Never could find anything wrong with it and I spent many a day trying to figure it out. One day we had to pull the tank to get at a hydraulic line. Lo and behold in the bottom of the tank was a nozzle from a gas can. I didn't think there was anyway this was the cause of the problem. But lo and behold for some reason that little 4" nozzle had caused the problem.