Tractor
    1984 MF 1010

Default 1984 MF 1010 bleeding the fuel line

I've just changed the fuel filter and now it won't start. I'm guessing I got air in the line. I've tried bleeding the line, but am having no luck. Am I missing something? I loosened the screws above the filter and cranked it, but no fuel comes out. The trap doesn't even completely fill. This is my first time doing this so I am little lost.

Thanks!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MF

Default Re: 1984 MF 1010 bleeding the fuel line

If you aren't getting fuel to the bowl make sure you have the fuel valve above the bowl set to on. Is there any possible way you installed the filter backwards. If it has a check valve in it, it will only work one way.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF 1010

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE R View Post
    If you aren't getting fuel to the bowl make sure you have the fuel valve above the bowl set to on. Is there any possible way you installed the filter backwards. If it has a check valve in it, it will only work one way.
    Yup the valve is on, or at least the handle is in the on position. I am suspicious that maybe the handle is stripped out and the ball is still closed. It was really stuck when I first closed it, but now is super loose and easy to open/close. If it is open shouldn't fuel flow into the trap by gravity alone?

I don't believe I could have gotten the filter in backwards. Its a simple paper filter with a rubber gasket on one side. Rubber gasket goes up right?

NAPA AUTO PARTS

Thanks

Oops I'm the OP, I accidentally signed up for a new account, but then found out what my old account was.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF 1010

Good news, turns out the shutoff knob had broke. It has a set screw so I was able to pop it off and notice that metal nub that fits into the actual valve had broke off. So I used my screw driver to open the actual valve and reattached the knob and was off and running. Wonder if I can order just the knob

Another question, on the side of the fuel injector there is a big adjustable bolt, maybe 2 inches long. I accidentally turned this during my bleed off attempts. I notice this has some impact on the idle. Is that the idle adjust or some sort of air intake valve? What is the proper method for adjusting it?

Thanks

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF1010

Quote Originally Posted by bloody_peasant View Post
    Good news, turns out the shutoff knob had broke. It has a set screw so I was able to pop it off and notice that metal nub that fits into the actual valve had broke off. So I used my screw driver to open the actual valve and reattached the knob and was off and running. Wonder if I can order just the knob

Another question, on the side of the fuel injector there is a big adjustable bolt, maybe 2 inches long. I accidentally turned this during my bleed off attempts. I notice this has some impact on the idle. Is that the idle adjust or some sort of air intake valve? What is the proper method for adjusting it?

Thanks
    We may need a picture of this one, close up. I have a 1010, and both the owners manual and an ITG manual, so if you can post a pic, we may be able to advise.