cub cadet starting problem

/ cub cadet starting problem #1  

pjh008

Tractor
cub cadet 1045
Hi everybody, first time question. Cub cadet 1045 with 20hp Kohler courage engine. When starting it will only turn until it is under compression and stops. Got a new battery that has been double checked, it's good. I've looked over the wiring tried jump starting off my truck battery, no good. Pulled the spark plug and it turns over fine. Just can't get over that compression hump, any ideas ?

/ cub cadet starting problem #2  
Have you checked your valve settings? If they are too loose then you will build compression in the cylinder. I had the same problem with a B&S once I set the valves it turned over like new

Terry

/ cub cadet starting problem
Thank brother, i'll check it out. It would be nice if I had a service manual for this. The engine is a mod#SV690. Don't think they make them anymore. I've tried looking for one with no luck.

Thanks for the manual link, much appreciated !

O.K. Took a look at the valves and adjustments, none needed. Next step, I thought i'd check the flywheel key to see if that maybe damaged. If it is , wouldn't that throw off the timing to where it would cause this to happen. What about going with a higher cold crank amps on the battery? This one really has me stumped.

/ cub cadet starting problem #7  
I have a CC1050 with the 23hp Kohler motor. I too have starting trouble. I replaced my battery, air filter,& plugs this year trying to remedy the problem. What made the most difference though, was changing the in-line fuel filter. It only struggles a bit when I first fire it up but not nearly as much as it did before.

/ cub cadet starting problem #8  
I have a lawn tractor that was like that. The cylinder was loading up with gas while parked. I fixed it with a fuel shut-off valve that I close when it's parked. I know the problem I is in the carb, but I didn't want to take it apart.

/ cub cadet starting problem #9  
The only thing I see that wasn't covered...........is the starter weak?

/ cub cadet starting problem #10  
I am not sure about the 2 cyl Kohlers but the single cyl has a set of advance weights on the cam gear. This retards the cam for cranking and when the engine starts the weights advance the cam. If these are stuck it will crank over verry hard. On my 16 hp you could get to the weights without dissassembling the engine. There is a cover you could remove and with a can of brake clean with a nozzel you could clean it. Hope this helps.
Bill