John Deere 790 Electrical Problem

/ John Deere 790 Electrical Problem #1  

BigMomma

Tractor
JD 790
Looking for ideas/help. I have a JD 790 - which is a great machine - ~550 hours - very well maintained and has always run great. It worked perfectly on Saturday - went to start it yesterday, and it is totally dead. Not even lights - nothing happens when you turn the key (guages,etc). I am trying to diagnose and fix the problem.

The battery was old, but still holding charge - nontheless, I replaced it. Cleaned the ground, checked the fuses, all safety switches are in their proper starting position. Chatted with a local used equip dealer and he didn't have any other ideas.

I'm perplexed - any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

/ John Deere 790 Electrical Problem #2  
did you check the MAIN fuse located near the starter...its like a 60 amp fuse or so.

/ John Deere 790 Electrical Problem #3  
Some tractors also have a "fuse wire". That one is harder to find and can look o.k. on the outside casing, while the insinde wire is burnt off, thus acting as a fuse.

/ John Deere 790 Electrical Problem
Thanks for your help and quick replies. The Main Fuse was fine, but glad to know about that one.

I found the problem to be the Ground CABLE. It looked fine, but surprisingly was corroded inside the casing - never seen that. I replaced the cable and am up and running.