Need advice - Loader Bucket Repair

/ Need advice - Loader Bucket Repair #1  

OldBulldogger

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 4WD
Hello again,
I am just looking for some advice. I have a Ford 7108 Quick Attach loader with a 60" bucket on it that I use on my Ford 1720. When I got the tractor I noticed the bucket was worn through and is now starting to crack. I would like to repair it and just wondered if anyone has had any experience with this type of repair. I thought about cutting out the bad section and welding in a replacement section or getting a 3/16 piece of sheet steel creased to fit the profile and weld in over the top of the current plate. Does anyone have any suggestions here? The bucket itself is dented in places so it may be a bit of a challenge to perfectly line up the sheet steel. I don't have a cutting torch but might be able to get use of one. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Bucket left Side.jpg
    Bucket left Side.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 834
  • Bucket Right Side.jpg
    Bucket Right Side.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 361
   / Need advice - Loader Bucket Repair #2  
If it was mine I would cut the whole bottom out and replace it along with a new cutting edge.

Most good metal shops can cut and bend the bottom for you.

/ Need advice - Loader Bucket Repair #3  
New 5' bucket here is under $500. I have 10 different buckets for my tractor. I wouldn't fix that one, steel is too pricy and will still be a patched bucket.

/ Need advice - Loader Bucket Repair #4  
Hello again,
I am just looking for some advice. I have a Ford 7108 Quick Attach loader with a 60" bucket on it that I use on my Ford 1720. When I got the tractor I noticed the bucket was worn through and is now starting to crack. I would like to repair it and just wondered if anyone has had any experience with this type of repair. I thought about cutting out the bad section and welding in a replacement section or getting a 3/16 piece of sheet steel creased to fit the profile and weld in over the top of the current plate. Does anyone have any suggestions here? The bucket itself is dented in places so it may be a bit of a challenge to perfectly line up the sheet steel. I don't have a cutting torch but might be able to get use of one. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

If it were mine, I'd cut the bottom out and weld in some 1/4" plate. You might want to replace the edge also. If you can do the work yourself , it will be cheaper than a new bucket.

Another possibility is to weld a 1/4" plate over the bottom or get some 1/4" strip about 6 inches wide an weld that over the cracks.

/ Need advice - Loader Bucket Repair #5  
Trade it to the scrap yard for some cash ($/pound) and buy yourself a new one. :thumbsup:

/ Need advice - Loader Bucket Repair #6  
I've never had much luck welded over old rusty plate, it usually rusts even faster between the 2 pieces and you end up replacing it anyway. Looks at any older dump trailer that overlaps the steel and you will see the bulges from rust between them.