case 580e shuttle shift

/ case 580e shuttle shift #1  

chrisdvorak

Gold Member
Tractor
too many
I am looking at a 1987 case 580e that is said to need a new shuttle for the transmission. I have not looked at the machine yet but he said the engine runs good, do the hydraulics use the same fluid as the shuttle? and if so should the hydraulics still function with the bad shuttle? also does the machine still need to be split to replace only the shuttle and not the transmission?

-thanks chris

/ case 580e shuttle shift #2  
I'll take a shot at this, someone will correct me if I am wrong :D

Shuttle is hydraulic reverser. Uses hydraulic clutch and brake packs to change direction, forward/reverse. Not sure reason for needing replacement, could be slipping, only moving one direction or not moving at all.

Should use same hydraulic fluid for both shuttle and hydraulics. hydraulics should not be affected, should still work.

A split will be needed to repair.

/ case 580e shuttle shift #3  
G'day shuttle and hyd different systems, poss got bad clutch pack in the system they can break a belleville spring in them and loose tension on the clutch pack. You do not need to split to repair as the unit drops out under the machine does not take long to get out ( 1.5 hrs approx) and rebuild kits are avail gen or aftermarket, I think I paid about $5-600 aus for the last on a year or so ago.

So in the short version ALL loader and hoe operations should function correctly with a bad shuttle/reverser

Jon

/ case 580e shuttle shift
thanks for the info! so just to clarify the machine does not need to be split to replace the shuttle?

/ case 580e shuttle shift #5  
No, it does not need to be split, to remove the unit. If you look underneath, you will see there is a framework, front to back, and each individual component can be removed.

If you do purchase it, I would suggest finding an OEM service manual for it. Case manuals are very descriptive on repairs.

/ case 580e shuttle shift #6  
Did tell you what the tractor is (or isn't) doing? I do believe the 580E has a torque converter and possibly a charge pump as well as clutch plates. I've seen rebuilt shuttle units for sale for a little over $2k. I think a torque converter will be about $600, maybe $200 for the charge pump, and maybe another $150 for a shuttle rebuild kit. I've never done it but I would guess it's not too hard to do.

If you look under the tractor (if I'm thinking correctly) you'll see a short drive shaft between the shuttle transmission and the gear box. Lots of room to work under it but you'll need a floor jack with a transmission attachment to remove and then lift it back into place. I don't think it holds much more than maybe a gallon or so of fluid.

/ case 580e shuttle shift #7  
hi guys ,i got a 580e 2wd backhoe ,i have a weak pushing shutle ,i have replace torque ,charge pump ,discs ,new oil .yet the thing has to be rev up to top rpm for it to move .seems like its looses pressure on the charging of oil to torque ,anybody can tell me where is the relieve valve for the charge pump?or any ideas on this joker?thanks