front 4x4 u joint

/ front 4x4 u joint #1  

devildogduane

Tractor
mitsubishi
Hi,

I have a Mitsubishi D1450FD and the 4x4 went out. I limped it into the shop and took the cover plate off of the shaft and found the pin in the bottom of the cover plate that should have been holding the u joint to the from shaft. Let me back up here and let you know that I just bought this tractor a couple days ago. Now I have tried to get them to go back together but it is coming up to short. Is there a trick to getting the shaft and the joint to match up in order to get the pin back in? I have even tried to pull the two together with a strap. Or, is this possibly the wrong u joint for this tractor and the previous owner just monkeyed it to work for a little bit? Any ideas please let me know. I have included a couple photos to help with the understanding. The one photo shows me holding the shaft up and shows the distance I need to go in order to get the pin in.

Thanks, Duane

Attachments

• 2012-04-13_17-35-25_99.jpg
    2012-04-13_17-35-25_99.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 233
  • 2012-04-13_17-35-37_888.jpg
    2012-04-13_17-35-37_888.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 2012-04-13_17-36-10_72.jpg
    2012-04-13_17-36-10_72.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 211
   / front 4x4 u joint #2  
It looks like the round ring over the hole in the u-joint yoke was intended to hold the lock pin in place. If so, how did the pin come out with the lock ring still in place? The female splines appear galled which could make it hard to get back together. Splines should be very clean and well lubed. My recommendation is a high molybdenum disulfide grease from lots of good experience with it but also because I worked for Cat where we used a lot of moly on splines to solve spline fretting problems. It is hard to tell from the pics where the play is going to come from to get it back together. Is this a real tough one to tear down further to where you can work out the spline fit issue, then bolt it back up?

/ front 4x4 u joint
Yes the round ring was just as it appears although part of it is missing and could be the reason for the pin coming out. As far as play, i am not getting any play in the shaft at all. I am not sure if I need to tear into it elsewhere to possibly allow play between the shafts. I may have to wait till I get a manual on this tractor....Thanks

/ front 4x4 u joint #4  
In your first pic it looks like the drive shaft has a slip joint in it but it is hard to tell. Could you post a pic of more of the drive shaft. If your slip joint is froze it could be causing your problem.
Bill

/ front 4x4 u joint #5  
Looking at the extreme right of the joint, I see another clip ring over a hole in the joint body.
I suspect that joint will slide off the rear shaft if you move the ring and drive out the pin.
That would allow you to dress the damaged internal splines conveniently on the work bench where you could dress the damaged splines with an appropriate file.
The pin and clamp arrangement is no big deal. As long as you get a reasonable snug fitting pin you should be OK, As to the clip ring, well what is wrong with using a screw type hose clamp?
If you have trouble finding a pin, try fitting a drill bit (plain end naturally) and cut to length. Also a common nail if a snug fit.
All in all you have a rather simple problem IMHO.

That pin does not work hard, it merely prevents the Ujoint from sliding off of the shaft.. The splines do the work.
Good luck.

/ front 4x4 u joint #6  
Hi,

I have a Mitsubishi D1450FD and the 4x4 went out. I limped it into the shop and took the cover plate off of the shaft and found the pin in the bottom of the cover plate that should have been holding the u joint to the from shaft. Let me back up here and let you know that I just bought this tractor a couple days ago. Now I have tried to get them to go back together but it is coming up to short. Is there a trick to getting the shaft and the joint to match up in order to get the pin back in? I have even tried to pull the two together with a strap. Or, is this possibly the wrong u joint for this tractor and the previous owner just monkeyed it to work for a little bit? Any ideas please let me know. I have included a couple photos to help with the understanding. The one photo shows me holding the shaft up and shows the distance I need to go in order to get the pin in.

Thanks, Duane

By the wear marks on the driven shaft, I don't believe that pin was ever inserted. The drive shaft would have to come forward well over an inch to allow the pin to be put in the hole. I agree with Piloon that the driveshaft pin would have to to be removed to make the connection to the driven shaft but then how do you pin the yoke back to the drive shaft? Something she's screwed up here. When you get the manual, you should be able to get a better idea of what the problem is. I'm sure it will be something simple.You might consider talking to the shop people at your local dealer. they might have seen this before. Take your pictures.

/ front 4x4 u joint
Thank you all for your help! I am new to tractors. I did have another ujoint farther back on the driveshaft that was just packed full with dirt making it hard to move the shaft. So, I have put the drive shaft together so far twice. Once it fell off towards the front and then another at the slip u joint. I get a couple loads and then it will pop off. I have noticed a pin up front holding my axle to the frame that has worked its way out. I am thinking this is causing the front to twist a bit causing the ujoints to pull apart. My problem is what is used to hold the large pin in. It has a plate on the front with a zerk fitting to hold it from going forward but nothing to stop it from working out to the rear. Any ideas would be awesome.

Also, if you know of the nearest new tractor repair manual that is closest to this tractor please let me know.

Thanks, Duane

Attachments

• 2012-04-22_16-55-11_76.jpg
    2012-04-22_16-55-11_76.jpg
    974.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 2012-04-22_16-56-55_652.jpg
    2012-04-22_16-56-55_652.jpg
    812.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 2012-04-22_16-57-43_787.jpg
    2012-04-22_16-57-43_787.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 156
   / front 4x4 u joint #8  
Thank you all for your help! I am new to tractors. I did have another ujoint farther back on the driveshaft that was just packed full with dirt making it hard to move the shaft. So, I have put the drive shaft together so far twice. Once it fell off towards the front and then another at the slip u joint. I get a couple loads and then it will pop off. I have noticed a pin up front holding my axle to the frame that has worked its way out. I am thinking this is causing the front to twist a bit causing the ujoints to pull apart. My problem is what is used to hold the large pin in. It has a plate on the front with a zerk fitting to hold it from going forward but nothing to stop it from working out to the rear. Any ideas would be awesome.

Also, if you know of the nearest new tractor repair manual that is closest to this tractor please let me know.

Thanks, Duane

That pin in the front axle must be part of the plate otherwise it would slide out backwards. Maybe it's broken or torn off the plate and that's allowing the front end to wiggle. Since it has a grease fitting take the plate off (you'll probably have to remove the pin with it since it's mot likely attached to the plate, or at least is supposed to be) and have a look. There may also be a bushing in there that's worn. he other possibility is that the has a larger diameter just ahead of where it sticks out the back and that keeps it from sliding out backwards while the plate keeps it from sliding out forward.

Were you able to pin the drive line together?