Question on Installing Zenith Carb on Ford

/ Question on Installing Zenith Carb on Ford #1  

Amos1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 861 Powermaster
I'm trying to setup a Zenith carb on my 860 Ford.

Do I still use the Fuel Sediment Bowl? Or do I screw the gas line Directly into the Carb? (The Bolt that held the Fuel Sediment Bowl onto the old Carb it too Long is the reason I'm asking) I put 3 flat washers on it but it leaks like a sieve.

Anybody know?

Thanks in advance for any help!

/ Question on Installing Zenith Carb on Ford
From info I found on another board, it looks like I DO USE the Fuel Sediment Bowl with the Zenith carb. (I would have been nervous Not using it because of crap entering carb, and would have installed a fuel filter whether I used it or not.)

Guess I'll see if I can find a slightly shorter Banjo Bolt, or buy another original and try to cut it down. (Hate to scavange parts off the old carb)

I'm Still interested in how others have handled this (Attaching Fuel Sed Bowl to Zenith carb) and if they had same issue with Banjo Bolt being too long.

BTW - to help others if they go with a Zenith conversion: You'll notice that the Zenith carb doesn't have the 1/4" linkage Balls, but rather Bolts. (Which will not fit in the spring-loaded holes of the Choke and Accelerator linkage rods.) I found a set of the Ball-Type on Holley Carbs Website and ordered some. (I had bought some Stove Bolts and ground down the heads to 1/4 inch and they connect ok, but will go with the round balls from Holley since I was able to find some.) Holley Performance Products Carburetor Throttle Ball Assortment*20-2

Nothing is ever easy... I'm determined to get this thing up and running so I can plant some sweet corn...

The raccoons are counting on me. :licking:

I did some measuring on the Banjo Bolt in relation to the old carb and the Zenith.

When screwed in all the way on the Zenith Carb (without the bowl), there is 1 1/16" between the carb body and the inside edge of the bolt head.

With the MS carb, there is 15/16ths. (So the MS Carb has 1/8" deeper threads than the Zenith)

So if I cut 1/8" off the end of the bolt, it should work with the Zenith. (without changing the location/position of the hole in the bolt's side).

Does that sound right?

Question? Is a vise and a hacksaw the best way to cut 1/8" off the end of bolt without messing up the threads? Grind it off?

Feedback please?

/ Question on Installing Zenith Carb on Ford #4  
If you have a nut that would fit the treads on that banjo bolt, I would screw it on first, then grind the bolt down to the nut (taking off 1/8"). When you unscrew the nut, it will help to smooth the burrs. You could use a die too.

Sorry, I can't help much on the Zenith business. I think my 841 has a zenith, but it had it when I got the tractor, so I don't know what had to be done to convert from the MS carb. You are installing the copper washers on both sides of that banjo bolt, correct?

Thanks, Strum! Good idea on putting the nut on bolt before cutting. (That and the Bolt head will fit in the vice too, instead of on threads)

I just bought some gaskets at the NH dealer. They look to be hard paper material... That's what showed up on the diagram for my tractor.

Part# NCA99180B

The CNH website showed 2 possible gaskets for my tractor. The NCA99180B and an A version (first one, the B, is for years 1955 - 1960; the A was for tractors newer than 1960) I took the Banjo Bolt with me and the B version gasket fit it perfectly. (The A type had a bigger hole)

I had no idea what year my tractor was since the serial # is nearly worn off - looks like I have the older version - 1955-1960 - according to the gaskets that fit. Good to know!

They also show 2 different Banjo Bolts for the 861. Get this, one is $6.95 and the other is like $40-something! The guy measured mine and is going to check the dimensions with his supplier and find out which one I had and give me a call. I hope it's the cheap one - I won't be buying one for $40 - lol

Thanks again for your help!

/ Question on Installing Zenith Carb on Ford #6  
I must be thinking of something else, they probably are fiber/paper gaskets. A lot of times you will see copper being used in the same type of application, however.