Ford 1720 4wd out

/ Ford 1720 4wd out #1  

Morning Wood

Gold Member
So, I broke the lever on my 1720 that puts the tractor in and out of 4wd. It pulled up and broke the stop and went past the stop so it wouldn't go in. I took it to the shop and they diagnosed the problem. They found all the broken parts except for a steel ball that they couldn't find. They said they could take the pto cover off and most likely get at the ball in the bottom that way. But it's going to be another 5-6 hours of labor. I'm wondering if I should risk not doing the work and just assume the thing is at the bottom and there to stay? If it does get caught up in the gears it's going to be a lot more expensive in the long run. Any advice? Thanks, Nick.

/ Ford 1720 4wd out #2  
I would have it fixed properly and address any other issues while they are at it.
While my 1720 is old it runs well, I can't even think about replacement costs. I bet it would be well over $20,000!

/ Ford 1720 4wd out #3  
If you don't remove the ball now, you will wish you did. 6 hour labor will be cheaper than anything it breaks. Remember Murphy (Murphy's Law) wa an optimist.:D

Last edited:
   / Ford 1720 4wd out
I opted for tracking that ball down. Taking the pto cover off I guess. New glow plugs too which will be nice. Haven't really spent much money on this tractor over the years so I guess I was due.