Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wheel broke off !

Hello Gentlemen,

So I just finished tilling up my potato patch, went to park the kubota 7800 and felt a bump. Got off and the front left tire has fallen off ! Broken off. WHAT ON EARTH HAPPENED?

I'm a new owner of this used tractor and have little experience with maintenance, certainly with wheels falling off of anything. Feeling stunned. What does this mean? I have no idea. How does this kind of thing happen? Have I wrecked the axle? Will I have to take this to the doctor? Can I buy a part to fix it? It looks serious. I'm pretty sure this is much more than a tire problem.

Enclosing photos to help with diagnosis. Really glad it didn't happen in the middle of the field.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheel broke off !-p4170059.jpg   Wheel broke off !-p4170060.jpg   Wheel broke off !-p4170061.jpg   Wheel broke off !-p4170062.jpg  

Tractor
    B3030HSDC

Default Re: Wheel broke off !

Go to the kubota Owning/Operating forum and do a search on "Broken Front Wheel".

Here are two relevant threads in particular that you'll find.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...apped-off.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...441-hours.html

Good luck,

N. Fowler

N. Fowler, many thanks for the redirect ! I'm not completely cognizant of all the subtleties of this site yet, but have received much help and advice so far ! Really bummed out by this development, but I will soldier on !

PCP

Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

Do you have a FEL? Are your front tire loaded with fluid? Looks like the weld broke. Though I cant see details close enough. If it is a broken weld you may be able to disassemble it and either re-weld it yourself or have it re-welded.
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Yes, I do have a FEL, and tires are loaded. I will have to take the tire off, obviously, to really get a gander at what's up. But I would think that something like this would take a lot of stress--would a weld really hold up well? Freaks me out. Makes me think I should take the opposite wheel off too, just to see how it's doing.

Tractor
    BX-1860, L3940HSTC, B7500, Farmall M, Farmall 560D

Quote Originally Posted by Post Carbon View Post
    Yes, I do have a FEL, and tires are loaded. I will have to take the tire off, obviously, to really get a gander at what's up. But I would think that something like this would take a lot of stress--would a weld really hold up well? Freaks me out. Makes me think I should take the opposite wheel off too, just to see how it's doing.
    No reason to remove the tire. Separate the rim and hub, open the gear case and pull out the stub axle.

It will take longer to clean the thing up than make the repair.
    Kevin

BX1860, mower, snowblower - B7500HST, FEL, Bush Hog - Grand L3940 HSTC, FEL, snowblower, 6' Landpride brush hog, 6' King Kutter tiller, Corn Pro 18+5 Fifth Wheel, 1950 Farmall M, Farmall 560D

Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

Quote Originally Posted by Post Carbon View Post
    The reason I asked about the front tires being loaded is when the front tires are loaded it doesn't allow enough air space to give the proper dampening. I have even seen the wheel center brake out. For this reason I would leave the fronts empty of liquid ballast.
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

I'm with KevinJ..... looks bad, but not a major repair. kubota must have had a batch of bad axles, because there was another member with the same problem within the past couple weeks. I'd ask your dealer if Kubota is offering any help with these, since they seem to be having a problem. Use the search function and print off several treads where people have had the axle break and bring them in to the dealer.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1710 Ford

Dex3361 - I agree front tires do not need to be loaded when you run an FEL. not enough spring in the tire to protect the structure.

From the photos is looks like this may have been cracked for a while. There is no reason you cannot get the hub and stub shaft out and have them welded and they would be as good or better than new. Of course it takes a welder that knows what they are doing but I would not hesitate to repair it that way.

I may want to check the other wheel though to see if it is cracked. sometimes cracks are hard to see but if you wash it off and dry it with a hair dryer the water in the crack will show up after the surface is dry displaying a crack that cannot be seen by the naked eye. There re more professional methods such as a die penetrant, magnetic resonance, etc. but this is quick and easy for us tractor guys.

Tractor
    Kubota L3200

Yeah, that's clearly been a fracture in progress for a long time based on the rust on part of the crack. So if it's any consolation, you didn't cause the problem, you're just the poor sucker operating the tractor when it was finished off!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast