HELP! No reverse on an old John Deere 318

/ HELP! No reverse on an old John Deere 318 #1  

Wood Burning Fool

Tractor
John Deere 318
I just received an old 318 from a neighbor for free. These things are built like tanks. I have a bit more respect for Deere now and understand why the farmers who live around me love them. Anyways, it sat for 3 years outside with no cover. My neighbor said it was running fine, then died all of a sudden, so he parked it and never got back around to repairing it. Well, I not knowing better, towed it about 200 yards back to my house with flatted tires (it was towed going backwards). It didn't move very easy with the flat tires and at one point the rear end seemed to lock-up and I had to stop my ATV and start the towing slow to get it rolling again. DID I BUST IT??

I just got the engine running (a coil is all it needed) yes!!. Forward works fine, power steering works fine, but I have no reverse and the rear hydro cylinder to raise and lower the deck is not functioning. I have not changed any fluids yet. I need to mention there is a hose on the right side of the frame in the rear, above the rear end, that is broken and leaking fluid. It seems there was a fitting or joint made of plastic that broke. Any one know about this line? I also noticed, after removing all body panels, seat, and gas tank, that there is a lever that goes over two pistons. Should I have done something with this to tow it??? The pistons are frozen in place right now and do not move up or down.

I don't know much about what hydro lever operates what on this tractor (there are two), but I am very excited to learn. I NEED this mower to mow my quickly growing grass. I am very hands on (built my own house, work on cars, restored a few 50's cars, you get the picture). Any help would be great.

Thank you to all who reply and have recommendations for me.