51 8N Starter Relay

/ 51 8N Starter Relay #1  

Dlj4

Tractor
1951 Ford 8N
Looking for some advice on removing the starter relay. The screws have been painted over and won't budge ( starting to strip ). Also would like to know correct connection for this relay. Positive ground with the relay, small connection facing block. Thanks !

/ 51 8N Starter Relay #2  
the oem relay, as you say is 3 terminal... small one faces the block.. the one nearest the starter lug is connected with the transfer bar.. the other gets the bat cable ( negative) as the positive cable is grounded , if an oem setup.

take a screwdriver.. a hollow ground one if you have it.. set it in the head and git it a couple sharp whacks with a hammer, then try to start taking them out.

/ 51 8N Starter Relay
Thanks for the input ! There are 2 wires ( 1 red, 1 yellow and the cable ) So the red goes to the small, block connection. Are the yellow wire and cable on the same post or are they split on the 2 remaining posts ( one with the transfer bar ) ?

/ 51 8N Starter Relay #4  
The wire color is irrelevant if the wiring has ever been modified or re-done. Which is a good possibility on a 60+ year old machine. But here is what I can tell you....and it helps to have an ohm meter....

Whichever post is connected with the battery cable (here is where the ohm meter is handy) gets the wire that goes through amp guage and on to the key.

The other one gets the wire comming from the starter button. According to the print I am looking at, wire to the amp guage should be yellow, and the wire to the starter button shoud be red with a blue tracer

As to the screws, try as soundguy suggested, but I have found that it helps to be applying a little twisting(loosening) pressure when you whack it with the hammer. Not sure if that is what he meant or not.

And if you are looking for an excuse to get a new tool, this would be a good time to look at an impact screwdriver. They sure are handy:thumbsup:

/ 51 8N Starter Relay
Thanks for the input ! I will give it a shot.

/ 51 8N Starter Relay #6  
ditto on the impact screwdriver. I use done earier this year taking hte rust tin apart on a 4000.. was a great help!!