moisture in hour meter

/ moisture in hour meter #1  

charlz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100D
My Kubota b7100 hour meter has a fair amount of moisture inside it, enough that it makes it hard to read, works fine otherwise. I am afraid it is going to be the death of it and would like to get it dried out so I can seal around the glass as that is the only place I can see it might be getting water in it. I have had the unit out of the tractor but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to open it. Thoughts?

/ moisture in hour meter #2  
is it the type you can pry the bezel up and then pop the glass off the rubber?

/ moisture in hour meter #4  
good luck.

i've repaired many a gauge on old fords that way..

/ moisture in hour meter
Well, the bezel is roll-crimped on or something like that. Figured I would just make a mess if I tried to pry it off. I did figure out I could pull out the grommet with the wiring and I got most the moisture out by running compressed air through it for a while. I set it in the window as it is supposed to be hot. If that doesn't work maybe I will set it in a slightly hot oven for a while and see if that dries it out. Then re-seal, re-install and see if it works :D

/ moisture in hour meter #6  
if the grommet comes out it's likely how the water got in.

get some alcohol in there and swirl around.. it will disolve the water.. then heat it to boil off the alcohol and solvated water.. then seal up.

ps.. roll crimped bezels , likely can be pried up.. :)

/ moisture in hour meter #7  
You can put the whole gauge in a container of rice. That will usually draw the moisture out if you cannot take it apart. I have saved a few phones this way.

Mitch

/ moisture in hour meter
You can put the whole gauge in a container of rice. That will usually draw the moisture out if you cannot take it apart. I have saved a few phones this way.

Mitch

I have done that as well... but didn't think about that, thanks! :thumbsup:

/ moisture in hour meter
if the grommet comes out it's likely how the water got in.

get some alcohol in there and swirl around.. it will disolve the water.. then heat it to boil off the alcohol and solvated water.. then seal up.

ps.. roll crimped bezels , likely can be pried up.. :)

It sits on an angle in the dash so a little water can sit on the glass whereas the grommet is on the back, facing a little down and covered by the dash. The rubber seal on the glass looks shot so I am sure it is coming in around the glass. I am going to put a bead of clear silicone around the glass and hopefully that stops it. Thanks for the tip on the alcohol.

/ moisture in hour meter #10  
The grommet can be letting moist AIR in, which would create condensate. I'm not sure how you'd keep warm air from getting in there and then cooling when the sun goes down....

My X540 did that all the time. Wasn't a problem after it warmed up, the mist would burn off.