New & Q about alternator upgrade

/ New & Q about alternator upgrade #1  

drjerber

Tractor
Jinma 284
Hi from Eugene OR, home of the Beavers & Ducks--

I have a 5 year old Jinma 284 which works pretty much when it wants to.

I've seen posts about upgrading the alternator so the battery will charge. Anyone who's done that successfully, could you detail me on how you accomplished that, eg what alternator you used and what wiring changes you had to make??

Thanks

/ New & Q about alternator upgrade #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ New & Q about alternator upgrade #3  
Welcome to the forum from Oklahoma.

Ken

/ New & Q about alternator upgrade #5  
i don't have any specific info about the chinese units.. but if you just are looking for ideas for a generic alt to hang on there and make electrons move.. then the cheapest you can get is a delco 10SI 3 wire job from an auto parts store. if you have a core, figure 30-45$.. without a core.. 45-55$ depending on what store you get it at.

at that point it is just a matter of matching brackets and belt / pulley, and then wires.

at a minimum, wire from charge stud to hot side of battery or starter solenoid. wire from charge stud looped to #2 spade terminal.

wire from #1 spade terminal ran thru a 194 type bulb to the switched hot side of key switch ( run position ).

key on makes light come on.. after running and above 400 rpm, lamp goes off ( classic idiot lamp setup )... and she charges. negative ground.. etc..

2 mount ears should beeasy to come up with ho-made brackets...

I hang those alts on antique tractors all the time. angle iron, flat stock, drill and some allthread hardware / nuts / bolts, perhaps a bit of welding or heating is all that is neede dmostly.. then match up belt and pulley.. etc..

good luck, have fun, and welcome to tbn

soundguy

/ New & Q about alternator upgrade #6  
Welcome to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the Parts/Repairs Forum.

/ New & Q about alternator upgrade #7  
your original alternator is part number 2jf200 by the picture i found the 10si alternator mentioned already will be very easy fit also my application book states that it is external regulated if this is correct just take it out of loop because the delco is internal regulated and you will be going from 25amp to about 63amp output this could be one of the easier swap out i have seen good luck