Briggs & Stratton not charging

/ Briggs & Stratton not charging #1  

dgla

Tractor
Dixon SpeedZTR
My Briggs & Stratton Intek 14.5 HP mower engine quit charging the battery. What should I check at the engine?

/ Briggs & Stratton not charging #2  
   / Briggs & Stratton not charging #3  
Welcome to TBN!

So the voltage when running is less than 14.5V? Replaced the battery too I presume? A bad battery will not accept a charge.

If you can jump start and get 14.5 V or 15V when running then its likely the battery not accepting the charge.

If all this checks out then there is a diode I beleive with spade connections in the charging circuit you might want to check - they allow current one way to the battery - but this deeper into electrical circuits that will depend on your specific unit.

Dead/bad battery cell is my guess.

Carl

/ Briggs & Stratton not charging #4  
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/craftsman-sears/213135-fixing-my-wifes-new-yard.html

Here's a link to my alternator/regulator replacement.

Check the obvious. Battery cables, ground connections. Then, you'll likely face what I did last summer. Actually, the job was enjoyable and simply not that difficult, if you enjoy mechanic work.

BP - Thats a great write up! My one neighbor brought home a Craftsman DYT4000 last summer - sorta running - adjusted the valves, cleaned it up and sharpened the blades adjusted the deck and it works great- its a B&S 24HP twin with 46" deck.

Another neighbor has a B&S 17.5 HP single cylinder which last spring wouldnt start / crank - found the valves at .012 - .018 so adjusted and then would run for 20 min and stop - found a plugged fuel cap vent! Darn - that one had me stumped for a bit ..

Anyway, same neighbor with 17.5 B&S cant get it running again this week - so I get it going with my 100AMP starting charger, he cuts his grass for 30 min and unit still wont start - bad cell in the battery. When I check his running voltage its 15.9 V which I think is perfect..

I guess my question is what drove you to replace the stator winding - was there no output voltage?

Thanks

Carl