When did it get so difficult to change plugs?

/ When did it get so difficult to change plugs? #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I have a 1995 Ford F150 wiht 302 V8 engine. I picked up plugs, wires, dist cap, and rotor to replace.

I ran into two problems. First, the wires were on the plugs so tight I could not pull even ONE off. Must a a special tool?

Secondly, the **** wires go through wiring harnesses, some hidden under the injector air intake where you have to remove a lot of stuff to get to them.

No wonder it costs $180 to have your plugs changed.

I changed plugs and stuff all the time years ago, but boy does it look a lot harder now.

/ When did it get so difficult to change plugs? #2  
Yes there is a spark plug pulling tool, it allows you to pull the wire off by holding/pulling on the bottom of the boot. That way you don't pull the wire out of the boot and by pulling from the bottom it helps the boot expand making it easier to come off. If the wires have not been off in a longtime the heat of the plug makes the rubber boots slightly bond to the ceramic portion of the plug making it really hard to get off. In the future use some dielectric grease inside the boot to keep it from sticking to the plug. Yeah the routing of the wires now days sucks. The wires are installed before exhaust manifolds, etc. so once in the vehicle its a pain.

/ When did it get so difficult to change plugs? #3  
If you ever change the plugs in a late model Camaro or an Aerostar you'll think working on that F150 is like a walk in the park.

/ When did it get so difficult to change plugs? #4  
I'll second that!

/ When did it get so difficult to change plugs? #5  
I seem to remember on the last model Thunderbird, before they went to the two seater, if you got the V8 you had to slightly lift the engine to get at one of the plugs. Engineering at its best!!! I guess that's why many cars are going to the 100,000 mile tuneups.....if they last that long. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jeff

/ When did it get so difficult to change plugs? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( had to slightly lift the engine to get at one of the plugs )</font>

Wasn't that also the case with the Chevrolet Monza V-6 about 20-23 years ago?

/ When did it get so difficult to change plugs? #7  
Alan, I have another question about servicing Fords. I've been accustomed to doing most of the routine maintenance myself, but the newer ones get more complicated all the time, and now I'm at least temporarily living in an apartment . . ., so . . . I took the '01 Windstar to a Ford dealer for the routine recommended 30,000 mile service ($586.39) /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Is anyone actually doing all that service? According to the receipts, they changed engine oil & filter, flushed the cooling system, flushed and changed transmission fluid, changed the micron cabin filter, changed air filter, fuel filter, rotated tires, flushed fuel injectors (T/B & Decarb Kit), AIS air induction service, cleaned throttle body and decarbonized engine, and checked brake and tire condition and wear. And even though I'd never seen any leak or a drop of oil under the van, they said the power steering pump was leaking and they replaced it under warranty, so that wasn't included in my cost.

Now the '99 F150 is due for the 60,000 mile service and they tell me it will also be about $600 (about the same service, but also change the spark plugs). /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Is this about normal now-a-days?

/ When did it get so difficult to change plugs? #8  
Ahhhh, the Chevy Monza. In my opinion that was a high point for GM small car styling in the late 70's. Man did I want one of those in '79 when I was 17. Unfortunately, mom and dad believed in that pesky work for what you get thing and wouldn't buy me one. Don't know about the plug thing because by the time I could afford one I became a dedicated Toyota man. I actually saw either a Monza or Pontiac Sunbird driving around a while back. The styling still looks good today. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I did have a '70 Challenger where they were nice enough to put a hole in the inner fender to get at one of the rear plugs on the V8. Such a simple fix!

I don't take my cars in for those high buck services at the dealer. Heck, I try and stay as far away from the dealer as possible!! It seems that a lot of the stuff they do is either not necessary or at least doesn't need to be done as often as they say. For instance, that micron whosacallit thing they replaced. $70 - $80 bucks an hour seems a bit stiff to replace that or rotate my tires.

Jeff

/ When did it get so difficult to change plugs? #9  
On some vehicles you have to be a contortionist just to change the oil filter. The engineers that design these monstrosities should be forced to work on em /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ When did it get so difficult to change plugs? #10  
If you look in the back of your maintenance manual you will see what is recommended by the manufacturer at certain mileage. I have never seen where a car needed a trans and power steering flush at 30k even in a truck. I do all my own servicing for the most part unless its warranty work. I think your dealer is taking you for a ride.............