Can I straighten an FEL bucket?

/ Can I straighten an FEL bucket? #1  

kbota

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 850-sold to buy Kbota Grand L3010
Okay, I used my L3010's FEL to push over a tree. Aprox 12" trunk.

As a result of pushing with the cutting edge of the bucket, it is now noticeably bent. Has anyone successfully straightened a bucket edge?

/ Can I straighten an FEL bucket? #2  

As a result of pushing with the cutting edge of the bucket, it is now noticeably bent. Has anyone successfully straightened a bucket edge?

yes it has been done. there are several threads on here about doing that. One way mentioned was cutting a slot in a stump and using the hydraulics to bend it back, another was a chain and a small chain binder to pull the "smile" out . I guess the top of the bucket would have to be pretty rigid or you would risk putting a bend in the top before the lip moved back into place.. There was some other methods too.. use the search function at to of the page and put in likely words.

James K0UA

/ Can I straighten an FEL bucket? #3  
If you have access to something heavy just put a block of 4X4 lumber on each side of the bend and lift in the middle with a bottle jack. I am thinking something like the rear bumper of a big rig trailer.

Now lets see: 10 minutes to rehearse your story in case the truck driver comes out while you are doing it. Three minutes to straighten your bucket.:cool2:

/ Can I straighten an FEL bucket? #4  
If you have access to something heavy just put a block of 4X4 lumber on each side of the bend and lift in the middle with a bottle jack. I am thinking something like the rear bumper of a big rig trailer.

Now lets see: 10 minutes to rehearse your story in case the truck driver comes out while you are doing it. Three minutes to straighten your bucket.:cool2:

The heavy object we used was the outrigger on a crane, put blocks of wood under the ends of the bucket and bent it down.

Everyone has a crane don't they?

/ Can I straighten an FEL bucket? #5  
hello all,

Loader on our L2500DT is also bent. Now doesn't bother me that much kinda makes it easier to dig run off ditches in the fields.

I-Beam on top of loader bucket would stop the top from bending but without drilling a hole in the bucket it's self where would you hook a chain to with out taking chance of chain fling off under pressure.
I have heard of using heat to bend steel back but not sure how to do it without making metal brittle.
Friend of mine used to heat railroad car doors to bend them back from being bowed outwards ??

BE SAFE Carl

/ Can I straighten an FEL bucket? #6  
The heavy object we used was the outrigger on a crane, put blocks of wood under the ends of the bucket and bent it down.

Everyone has a crane don't they?

Quite clever enginerring, but both mental images made me laugh. Thanks fellows!:laughing::thumbsup:

PH