Hydrostatic Transmission Slipping ???

/ Hydrostatic Transmission Slipping ??? #1  

lsukenny

Tractor
craftsman dls3500
Ok. I own a 4.5 years old Craftsman mower with a 20 HP Briggs motor and a hydrostatic transmission manufactured by Tuff Torq (K46 model).

The problem I had was the engine would run fine but it would lose power going to/through the transmission. It would work ok but then get progessively worse the longer I would use it. Then I would take the mower out again and the same thing would happen but it would get a little worse. I initially diagnosed the problem as being the belt was worn and must be stretching as it was warming up. I changed both the drive and blade belts and it did not correct the issue the slightest bit.

At this point, I spoke with three mower repair shops and read everything I could find on hydrostatic transmission problems. (I can't tell you how many posts I found of similar transmission complaints) The most consistent suggestion was purging the transmission of air. I did this again and again with no help to the problem. Also, by this point the mower wheels would turn when I jacked up the back end but the mower would not move much once I put it on the ground. It seemed like the gears might be worn down and slipping once a load was put on the mower/transmission.

So, ok - I read some more through every forum and decided to take the transmission down and open it up. Guess what, the gears looked fine with little to no where. $h!t - did I have the wrong belt? I checked again and it was correct. I was truly at a loss as to what to do.

Alright, here is the fix I discovered. I happened to see somewhere about oil that has degraded being prone to "foam". (By the way, hydrostatic transmissions use engine oil - not transmission fluid) With that thought, I wondered about the properties of cold oil vs warm oil and also would bubbles/foam forming in the oil mimic the need to purge trapped air from the transmission. As a result, I drained all the fluid from the transmission case over about a day. I then purchased 20-50 weight synthetic oil. I chose Valvoline Racing oil as it indicated that it had a anti foam quality to it. I reinstalled the transmission and purged it of air.

Guess what - the mower pulled like new. No $200 tranny rebuild kit. No $650 new transmission from Tuff Torq. Just two $9 quarts of oil. Some might reply that this should have been common sense but nobody anywhere connected the dots. It seems that mower repair shops don't specialize in transmission work and transmission shops don't really deal with lawnmower repairs. Good luck with whomever finds this information.

/ Hydrostatic Transmission Slipping ??? #2  
Yes, the heavier weight oil will help for a while and then your problem will return. These HST trannies are considered throw aways since usually rebuilding them is a bout 75-80% of the cost of a new one.

Keep the fan blade in good shape an keep the tranny clean of oil and dirt to aide in the cooling. That is about the best you can do.

/ Hydrostatic Transmission Slipping ??? #3  
My reverse is not engaging very well have to hold the leaver hard back to get any effect . Countax Rider quite old pre 1990 i think . Goes forward ok ..

/ Hydrostatic Transmission Slipping ??? #4  
Thanks isukenny, That is exactly what I did with my 2004 cub slt 1554.
I had the trans replaced the 1st year under warranty, then about 5 years later it started slipping again after mowing for 45 minutes in the heat of summer. It would make a grinding gurgulling sound and movement was jerky. I could shut it off for 5 minutes and then mow again for another 5 minutes.

I found your post in 2017, got the 20-50 Valvoline and it has worked and pulled great, not even a strain when pulling a small cart with 25 gallon sprayer full.

I had been searching for a few years, about what to do with the cub cadet hydro, I was so glad you posted your solution, but so angry about all the experts recommending that a new tranny was the ONLY fix.
thanks again,

Last edited:
   / Hydrostatic Transmission Slipping ??? #5  
Ok. I own a 4.5 years old Craftsman mower with a 20 HP Briggs motor and a hydrostatic transmission manufactured by Tuff Torq (K46 model).

The problem I had was the engine would run fine but it would lose power going to/through the transmission. It would work ok but then get progessively worse the longer I would use it. Then I would take the mower out again and the same thing would happen but it would get a little worse. I initially diagnosed the problem as being the belt was worn and must be stretching as it was warming up. I changed both the drive and blade belts and it did not correct the issue the slightest bit.

At this point, I spoke with three mower repair shops and read everything I could find on hydrostatic transmission problems. (I can't tell you how many posts I found of similar transmission complaints) The most consistent suggestion was purging the transmission of air. I did this again and again with no help to the problem. Also, by this point the mower wheels would turn when I jacked up the back end but the mower would not move much once I put it on the ground. It seemed like the gears might be worn down and slipping once a load was put on the mower/transmission.

So, ok - I read some more through every forum and decided to take the transmission down and open it up. Guess what, the gears looked fine with little to no where. $h!t - did I have the wrong belt? I checked again and it was correct. I was truly at a loss as to what to do.

Alright, here is the fix I discovered. I happened to see somewhere about oil that has degraded being prone to "foam". (By the way, hydrostatic transmissions use engine oil - not transmission fluid) With that thought, I wondered about the properties of cold oil vs warm oil and also would bubbles/foam forming in the oil mimic the need to purge trapped air from the transmission. As a result, I drained all the fluid from the transmission case over about a day. I then purchased 20-50 weight synthetic oil. I chose Valvoline Racing oil as it indicated that it had a anti foam quality to it. I reinstalled the transmission and purged it of air.

Guess what - the mower pulled like new. No $200 tranny rebuild kit. No $650 new transmission from Tuff Torq. Just two $9 quarts of oil. Some might reply that this should have been common sense but nobody anywhere connected the dots. It seems that mower repair shops don't specialize in transmission work and transmission shops don't really deal with lawnmower repairs. Good luck with whomever finds this information.
I have the same problem with troy bilt hydrostatic horse with the hydro gear transmission. The fix you did on yours is exactly what i need to do mine. Mine drives on flat ground but going uphill it gets real jerky and when it does kick in it pops a wheelie

/ Hydrostatic Transmission Slipping ??? #6  

/ Hydrostatic Transmission Slipping ??? #7  
Great timing on your post Isukenny! I've been going through the exact same thing with my Husqvarna with the Hydro Gear tranny. All of the 'slippage' started immediately after I did my mid-summer maintenance. I used Mobil 1 20W-50 oil this time.
The Husqvarna instructions were to purge the transmission with 3 reps. I did that and it seemed to work fine for a few minutes. I read where others had needed to purge more than 3 reps, so I did 6 reps. That, again seems to have worked.
If the problem reoccurs again, I'll change the oil replacing it with Valvoline Racing oil as you did.

/ Hydrostatic Transmission Slipping ??? #8  
Great timing on your post Isukenny! I've been going through the exact same thing with my Husqvarna with the Hydro Gear tranny. All of the 'slippage' started immediately after I did my mid-summer maintenance. I used Mobil 1 20W-50 oil this time.
The Husqvarna instructions were to purge the transmission with 3 reps. I did that and it seemed to work fine for a few minutes. I read where others had needed to purge more than 3 reps, so I did 6 reps. That, again seems to have worked.
If the problem reoccurs again, I'll change the oil replacing it with Valvoline Racing oil as you did.
More on the purging...
Additional purging did not help after about 5 minutes of running time. Changed to the Valvoline Racing oil with no improvement.
Any additional suggestions?

/ Hydrostatic Transmission Slipping ??? #9  
Seemingly have found the solution. A couple more attempts at purging did nothing more. So, I opened the oil fill cap thinking perhaps the air could not get out. Did one more transmission air purge without the cap screwed down tight and VIOLA! Apparently that did the trick. Just to be sure, I ran the mower for a couple of hours hard with no hick-ups.

I have no idea if the oil cap thing had a thing in the world to do with clearing up the transmission problem. But who questions the golden hand of good luck?