Cub Cadet 2160 wont turn over

/ Cub Cadet 2160 wont turn over #1  

ajackson

Tractor
Cub Cadet 2160
I have a Cub Cadet 2160 that I thought was having an electrical issue due to the engine not starting and some random lights showing up on the dash such as "disengage PTO". The disengage PTO light would show up randomly and not consistently.

I confirmed the battery is good and have also tried another battery just to be sure. I made sure I was getting 6 volts to the solenoid. I then jumped the solenoid directly to the starter to test the voltage. When I did this the wire would get very hot and start smoking (not sure if that is normal or indicates that there is a short) and the starter would not do anything. The voltage would show 1 or 2 on the multimeter at the starter. I then removed the starter to verify it was working. I ran the starter directly to the battery and it popped right up and started spinning. I put the starter back on and this time with a screw driver I jumped the solenoid. The starter started spinning as I may have done something wrong when hooking it back up. I tapped the gear that was spinning and it then popped up to try and crank the engine. Once it engaged it wouldn't turn over. I could hear it trying to turn the engine when I jumped the solenoid but it would never crank. I was able to hand turn the starter to crank the engine (it didn't turn real easy).

Not sure if the issue is still electrical or if it is something with the engine at this point.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

/ Cub Cadet 2160 wont turn over
I believe my issue may be that this is a 12v system and I remembered that the battery I was using to test with is a 6v. Let me know if that could be the issue that it is not cranking the engine.

Thanks.

/ Cub Cadet 2160 wont turn over
Here is an update on the above:

I ended up trying the old 12v battery but still had the same issue with it not turning the engine over. I ended up pulling the engine off and cleaning it out due to a mouse nest inside thinking the issue was with the engine at this point. I verified the engine wasn't locked up after finding out that it woud crank fine with a jump box hooked up to the starter and to the engine.

I purchased a new battery and when I hooked it up to the starter / engine just like above it cranked fine the first time. I wanted to test it again before putting the motor back on, etc.. This time when I hooked it back up (battery directly to the starter / block), the motor wouldn't crank and my ground wire was starting to melt like there was a short. Nothing changed with the previous test where it cranked fine.

I went ahead and hooked everything backup thinking I just had a ground issue or something like that. After hooking everything back up, soon as I turned the key to start the tractor it clicks for a second and then pops a fuse right at the battery. If I replace the fuse and unhook the positive cable going to the starter and turn the key I hear the solenoid click and verify that I get 12v at the end of the cable that should plug into the starter. It is almost like soon as the starter shaft touches the motor to crank, it shorts out.

I verified that the engine is grounded with a multimeter. All other electrical components seem to be working until I engage the starter.

Any ideas on what to check ?

Thanks.