Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,796
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    .

    Default Continental Z-145 Engine

    I have a Massey 135 tractor with the Continental Z-145 4 cylinder gasoline engine. I'm still waiting for the shop manual to arrive, but in the mean time, if anyone knows anything about servicing this engine, your input would be most appreciated.

    My understanding is the the Continental Z-134 4 cylinder gasoline engine is nearly identical to the Continental Z-145, except for the stroke and bore, so information about servicing or rebuilding that engine may also be applicable.

    Currently, I'm preparing to service the valves by adjusting the valve lash and replacing the valve seals.

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Jerry/MT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,391
    Location
    Western Montana
    Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

    Default Re: Continental Z-145 Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by MasseyWV View Post
    I have a Massey 135 tractor with the Continental Z-145 4 cylinder gasoline engine. I'm still waiting for the shop manual to arrive, but in the mean time, if anyone knows anything about servicing this engine, your input would be most appreciated.

    My understanding is the the Continental Z-134 4 cylinder gasoline engine is nearly identical to the Continental Z-145, except for the stroke and bore, so information about servicing or rebuilding that engine may also be applicable.

    Currently, I'm preparing to service the valves by adjusting the valve lash and replacing the valve seals.
    Look on the data plate for the engine on the left side just below the cylinder heas/deck interface. Most of the Z block Continentals have the lash settings on that data plate. The recomendation in the manual will most likely recommend setting them while running. Why are you replacing the valve stem seals? Burning oil at idle?
    You best wait til your manual shows up to replace the seals. I've never done them but you'll have to remove the spring on the intake valves and you'll need soemthing to keep from loosing the valve when you remove the spring. Either a special spark plug hole fitting to hold the valve with air pressure form a compressor or getting the piston near TDC so the valve doesn't drop down.

  3. #3
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,796
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    .

    Default Re: Continental Z-145 Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry/MT View Post
    Look on the data plate for the engine on the left side just below the cylinder heas/deck interface. Most of the Z block Continentals have the lash settings on that data plate. The recomendation in the manual will most likely recommend setting them while running. Why are you replacing the valve stem seals? Burning oil at idle?
    You best wait til your manual shows up to replace the seals. I've never done them but you'll have to remove the spring on the intake valves and you'll need soemthing to keep from loosing the valve when you remove the spring. Either a special spark plug hole fitting to hold the valve with air pressure form a compressor or getting the piston near TDC so the valve doesn't drop down.
    You're correct, I'm replacing the valve seals because it smokes (blue oil smoke) at startup and idle. The valves were noisy and I knew they needed adjusted so I figured I'd go ahead and replace the valve seals while I had the valve cover off.

    Currently, I've got the sheetmetal and gas tank removed with the valve cover off to perform the needed work. Surprisingly, the inside of the engine, at least under the valve cover, is very clean and free of sludge, but my suspicions about the valve lash needing adjusted were correct

    In fact, I've never seen valves so far out of adjustment. I looked at the data plate earlier and if memory serves, on the Continental Z-145 engine, the valve lash should be .015 cold or .013 hot, and currently the valve lash is closer to 1/8 of an inch on the valves I looked at, which tells me that the valve lash has probably never been adjusted. I'll have to turn the engine to check the rest of the valves but I have little doubt that they are the same.

    When I replace the valve seals, I'm going to put each cylinder at TDC, then use compressed air to hold the valve in place before removing the spring. The valve spring keepers might be a challenge though, because they're the pin type and if memory serves, aren't the easiest to remove/replace. Having the piston at TDC will ensure that the valve doesn't drop into the cylinder if I should lose compressed air for whatever reason.

    As suggested, I'm planning to wait until the shop manual arrives before doing anything more than inspection, because guesswork and engine repair usually results in disaster. I still need to purchase new valve seals so manual or not, I have to wait regardless.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    16
    Location
    Fairfield, New Brunswick, Canada
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 35 Deluxe

    Default Re: Continental Z-145 Engine

    I would recommend pulling the head right off. I just pulled the head off of my Z-134 engine from my 202 Workbull yesterday. Use a proper valve spring compressor. It will save you from trying to find either the pin or the locks or the spring if it takes off. It will cost you a head gasket but in the long range it will save you a lot of unnecessary words. Just my opinion. Also my book says that "Tappet clearance should be .013" when it is hot and .015" when it is cold. Valve should be set when "hot". Have the engine running (auxiliary fuel tank) at a slow idle at normal temperature." Hope this helps.

  5. #5
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,796
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    .

    Default Re: Continental Z-145 Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by tankerfarmboy View Post
    I would recommend pulling the head right off. I just pulled the head off of my Z-134 engine from my 202 Workbull yesterday. Use a proper valve spring compressor. It will save you from trying to find either the pin or the locks or the spring if it takes off. It will cost you a head gasket but in the long range it will save you a lot of unnecessary words. Just my opinion. Also my book says that "Tappet clearance should be .013" when it is hot and .015" when it is cold. Valve should be set when "hot". Have the engine running (auxiliary fuel tank) at a slow idle at normal temperature." Hope this helps.
    I've debated whether or not to remove the head, but I have a good valve spring compressor, and believe I can do it without removing the head. My only concern is the pin-type keepers which may make things a bit more complicated.

    Despite the minor issues mentioned above, the engine has good compression (Dry: 155 PSI on all cylinders), runs great, and has plenty of power. However, I'm planning to eventually do a full restoration on the tractor and will also be completely overhauling the engine at that time, so I'm trying to keep the repairs as basic as possible for now.

  6. #6
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,796
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    .

    Default Re: Continental Z-145 Engine

    Here are some pictures of my tractor's Continental Z-145 engine with the valve cover removed.

    Note the last picture, which shows one of the spring retainers/washers at each end of the rocker arm assembly that are held in place by cotter pins. As it turns out, both cotter pins had failed, allowing the washers to come off the end of the shaft. The resting place of one of the washers is visible in the first picture, and the other one was found stuck to the valve cover.

    Fortunately, there appears to have been no damage caused by the loose washers, and I'm not concerned about the missing cotter pins which are either laying at the bottom of the oil pan or were sucked into the oil filter long ago.

    More pictures and information about my tractor can be found here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/m...5-tractor.html













    Last edited by MasseyWV; 04-22-2012 at 10:17 PM.

  7. #7
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,796
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    .

    Default Re: Continental Z-145 Engine

    I don't know what I was thinking when I said it had the pin-type valve spring keepers. After reading about the possibility that the Continental Z-145 engine may or may not have valve seals, I took a closer look and discovered that it has the traditional split-type valve spring keepers.

    However, it appears that it does not have valve seals, which would explain many things. Granted, it's hard to tell for sure until I remove the valve springs, but if indeed it does not have valve seals, I plan to add them to help reduce the smoking at startup and idle. At least until I perform a full overhaul at a later date, when I will replace the valves and valve guides.

    Many different types of valve seals are available, so I shouldn't have any difficulty locating the correct seals for this application if none are available specifically for this engine. If all else fails, simple o-rings also work very well.
    Last edited by MasseyWV; 04-23-2012 at 02:33 AM.

  8. #8
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    440
    Location
    Stone Mountain, GA
    Tractor
    Case 1210, Mitsubishi D2050

    Default Re: Continental Z-145 Engine

    If it is smoking at start up, that is a sign of worn valve guides, which if I were you I would have replaced while I was working on it, along with a valve job.

    Good luck!

  9. #9
    Gold Member Kioti Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    483
    Location
    Industry, Pa- - 5 mi. north of Ohio River
    Tractor
    Kioti DS4510, Ford '48 8N, Ford '53 Jubilee, Power King 1614

    Default Re: Continental Z-145 Engine

    Another way to hold the valves in place is stuff the cylinder with a length of clothesline and then bring the cylinder up to TDC. Be sure to leave enough rope hanging outside the cylinder so it can be pulled out.. Method works on aircraft engines. Having air on the cylinder can cause the prop to turn and wack ya..

    Tom
    Kioti 2012 DS4510 with FEL
    Ford 1948 8N
    Ford 1953 Jubilee
    Power King 1614
    Various 3 pt. equipment
    Sold: Ford 1946 2N, Kioti 2011 DS3510

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Jerry/MT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,391
    Location
    Western Montana
    Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

    Default Re: Continental Z-145 Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by MasseyWV View Post
    I don't know what I was thinking when I said it had the pin-type valve spring keepers. After reading about the possibility that the Continental Z-145 engine may or may not have valve seals, I took a closer look and discovered that it has the traditional split-type valve spring keepers.

    However, it appears that it does not have valve seals, which would explain many things. Granted, it's hard to tell for sure until I remove the valve springs, but if indeed it does not have valve seals, I plan to add them to help reduce the smoking at startup and idle. At least until I perform a full overhaul at a later date, when I will replace the valves and valve guides.

    Many different types of valve seals are available, so I shouldn't have any difficulty locating the correct seals for this application if none are available specifically for this engine. If all else fails, simple o-rings also work very well.
    If it doesn't have valve seals and is smoking at idle and low power then your valve guides maybe worn. many times even if it had valve seals, you won't find them on an older engine like this. they have long ago disintegrated.
    It's worth a try to put seals on and see if that helps. You must have really been down on power if the valve lash was 0.125 inches! The valves were barely opening!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Engine oil flow issue to hyd pump drive gear bearings & New member
    By Valleyview in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 10:47 AM
  2. LK3054XS- Engine oil flow issue to hyd pump drive gear bearings
    By Valleyview in forum Kioti Owning/Operating
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-29-2013, 10:19 AM
  3. continental L head 4 cylinder engine
    By snooker in forum Parts/Repairs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-18-2012, 03:15 AM
  4. JD855 = YANMAR what?
    By JD855 in forum Parts/Repairs
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-13-2010, 01:18 AM
  5. Filters for a YM1600
    By lpolk000@centurytel.net in forum Yanmar
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 10:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.