Need a good tractor mechanic in upstate SC

/ Need a good tractor mechanic in upstate SC #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
Anyone have any advise on a good mechanic in the Greenville, SC , area? I need a new clutch on my kubota M6800. I just don't get good vibes from my dealer and the shop there. How difficult is this job? I know the tractor has to be split and expect $2000. Is that a good estimate?

/ Need a good tractor mechanic in upstate SC
Just what I have feared. There are no good mechanics in S.C.!!! I went to my local dealer where I bought my tractor and many implements and asked whom should I speak to about my clutch repair. I was told I needed to talk to David. Walked up to David, the service manager and politely asked "do you have a minute?" and he replied "not really". So I did not exactly get warm and fuzzy feeling about customer service! I said I needed a new clutch and then I asked if the would be willing to do this. You would have thought I was asking him to jump in a fire, as he basically said he just did not care to do this. Gave me every excuse and blew me off. Really pi---ed me off. I walked away and told him next tractor I bought would be green. (sadly, however, the local Deere dealer has about the same reputation)

I did find a retired gentleman who is highly recommended, who has worked on tractors his whole life. He just did a wet clutch on a big Deere, so I think he will be capable. Guess i will give him a try and hope for the best.

So if you want a Kubota, think twice about the dealer in my area! I will never buy anything else there again! I won't mention the name, but if you want info, send me a message and I will bash them by name, privately!

/ Need a good tractor mechanic in upstate SC #3  
I paid $1,700 to replace my clutch about a year ago at my dealer. It is a Blue machine but would think the cost is about the same.

/ Need a good tractor mechanic in upstate SC #4  
HCJtractor said:
Just what I have feared. There are no good mechanics in S.C.!!! I went to my local dealer where I bought my tractor and many implements and asked whom should I speak to about my clutch repair. I was told I needed to talk to David. Walked up to David, the service manager and politely asked "do you have a minute?" and he replied "not really". So I did not exactly get warm and fuzzy feeling about customer service! I said I needed a new clutch and then I asked if the would be willing to do this. You would have thought I was asking him to jump in a fire, as he basically said he just did not care to do this. Gave me every excuse and blew me off. Really pi---ed me off. I walked away and told him next tractor I bought would be green. (sadly, however, the local Deere dealer has about the same reputation)

I did find a retired gentleman who is highly recommended, who has worked on tractors his whole life. He just did a wet clutch on a big Deere, so I think he will be capable. Guess i will give him a try and hope for the best.

So if you want a Kubota, think twice about the dealer in my area! I will never buy anything else there again! I won't mention the name, but if you want info, send me a message and I will bash them by name, privately!

I think I know who you are talking about and yeah they are pretty sorry. Actually every dealer in the upstate that I can think of can't hold a candle to the ones in the middle of the state. Tons of people around here would have done your job at the drop of a hat and for a fair price too. I live in serious farm country, you better be a dang good dealer if you wanna play with the big boys around here. I've seen too many come and go that thought they could do business like the dealerships in the upstate, only to be closing their doors within a year or two.

I think I know who you are talking about and yeah they are pretty sorry. Actually every dealer in the upstate that I can think of can't hold a candle to the ones in the middle of the state. Tons of people around here would have done your job at the drop of a hat and for a fair price too. I live in serious farm country, you better be a dang good dealer if you wanna play with the big boys around here. I've seen too many come and go that thought they could do business like the dealerships in the upstate, only to be closing their doors within a year or two.

It is sad that is little farming going on around here, but with all the food plot work in the upstate, you would think there could be one decent dealership. Maybe there is, but I've yet to find it. Where are you in S.C.?

/ Need a good tractor mechanic in upstate SC #6  
It is sad that is little farming going on around here, but with all the food plot work in the upstate, you would think there could be one decent dealership. Maybe there is, but I've yet to find it. Where are you in S.C.?

Between Sumter and Manning. Around here it's wheat, corn, soybeans, and cotton. Deere, Case/NH run the show around these parts. Hay farming and horse owners are starting to become abundant around here also. Kubota has their foot in the door with the horse people but the closest two dealers to me is 45 min. They used to have one locally but he was just in WAY over his head. The two Kubota dealerships I mentioned seem to know their place and have set their sights on the horse owners. 50 hp and above and you have NO chance at competing against Deere, Case and NH around these parts. None. I'm not a row crop farmer but do own a good bit of land and my local Deere dealer treats me the same as one of the guys that owns 3,000 acres and buys a $250,000 combine every few years. He owns 4 stores and even though he knows he has the local market he still goes out of his way to earn/keep your business. His prices are reasonable most of the time, his shop is second to none, and I've never had to wait more then 24 hours on a part I needed(he usually keeps an outstanding stock so I hardly ever have to order anything), the salesman are very personable and knowledgable. the Case/NH dealer is the same...well the one I have dealt with before. There's another one 45 mins away but I've never done business with him

I can think of 7 places off the top of my head that would have replaced your clutch for you no problem. That includes dealers, farmers that will work on equipment on the side for folks they know or who have been referred to them, and local shops that work on just about anything you bring them. I had to have some work done on a tractor a few months ago and it cost me $377 and was finished in a little over two hours. The price was reasonable but it was worth it to get the tractor back the same day, ready to go to work.

Last edited:
Sounds like I need to make a road trip to Sumter!! You are lucky! I was at at my Kubota dealer the other day and had to hook up something to my 3 point. My tool box did not have the little bushing in it that converts a Class I pin to a Class II, which I needed. So I walked inside to buy one and they did not have any, not even in the shop. I was floored. Surely in a tractor dealership they could have found a little common bushing somewhere! That's like McDonalds being out of french fries!

/ Need a good tractor mechanic in upstate SC #8  
HCJtractor said:
Sounds like I need to make a road trip to Sumter!! You are lucky! I was at at my Kubota dealer the other day and had to hook up something to my 3 point. My tool box did not have the little bushing in it that converts a Class I pin to a Class II, which I needed. So I walked inside to buy one and they did not have any, not even in the shop. I was floored. Surely in a tractor dealership they could have found a little common bushing somewhere! That's like McDonalds being out of french fries!

Thats the kind of thing the Kubota dealership that close down was bad about. That and his service department didn't know jack about farm equipment, he couldn't keep a mechanic, he had 1/3 of the staff that the serious dealerships have, he tried to go head to head with Deere and Case/NH for the farmers and got CRUSHED. If you're going to get in this business you'd better he able to get parts to your customers and fast. Thats where the big boys excell and where the rest fall way short. You'd better know your customers and who you want to target too.