Is it a Ford 4000 or a Ford 871

/ Is it a Ford 4000 or a Ford 871 #1  

Friar

Tractor
Kioti 3045 TLB
After reading the threads on select-o-speed transmissions and doing my homework (I thought) and driving the tractor until hot, I decided to take a chance and buy this old tractor that was advertised as a Ford 4000. My rational is to use the Ford as a mowing machine and leave the backhoe on my other tractor (Kioti LK3045xs). The tractor runs well and has the features I want, an independent PTO, live hydraulics, power steering and a 4 cyl. diesel with lots of power. As I have been studying this tractor I have started puzzling over the 4000 designation on the hood. The grill and medallion style appear to be that of a 800 series tractor, specifically a 871. The serial number is missing and may have been grind smooth and under the blue paint is red paint (finish color or primer??). The transmission housing just above the inching pedal has the raised marking C3NN-7006-B next line B CWC . T . next line .1165. One thread mentioned that if this marking starts with a C it is a later model SOS transmission, which originally gave me some of the confidence to buy it. When in a gear it does not free wheel going down hill so I am assuming it is a direct drive clutch SOS. I値l be trying to make the best of this rig and would like to buy some manuals so I can start with some filter replacements and a tune up. But which manual to buy? I suppose it could be an 800 series tractor with a newer transmission perhaps from a 4000. Any ideas??

Attachments

• tractor ford.jpg
    tractor ford.jpg
    957.2 KB · Views: 3,348
  • serial number place ford.jpg
    serial number place ford.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 1,556
  • trans-marking-ford.jpg
    trans-marking-ford.jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 618
  • rear-ford.jpg
    rear-ford.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 799
Last edited:
   / Is it a Ford 4000 or a Ford 871 #2  
I think there were some rear axle improvements on the 4000 over the 800. I had the four cylinder 4000, with, the SOS, that had the tin work of 800 series. It was a pretty good tractor for tilling as the 1st gear was Looww. It smoked black a little. It probably could have used a pump and injector rebuild but in my area it was cost prohibitive. I was told it might be designated as a 871 also. It had 11-24 rear tires and was a Low Center of Gravity tractor. bjr

/ Is it a Ford 4000 or a Ford 871 #3  
It sounds like you have it figured out. They probably ground off the number when they changed the trans.

/ Is it a Ford 4000 or a Ford 871
Thanks for the input! I'm really curious to know what the casting markings shown in the last two photos might indicate. The person who sold the tractor said the 1165 on the transmission indicated it was made in Nov. of 65. If that is the case it would not be an original transmission from the 871 which was made only through 62 according to Tractor Data.com. The last photo are marks below the rear axle.

/ Is it a Ford 4000 or a Ford 871 #5  
The sheet metal is definitely not a 4000. There was no emblem on the front top of the cowl like the Jubilee had. All it had was a chrome cap on the hood that retained the curve from the days of the emblem and they just added a little grille and kept the hood. On the rest of it, who knows. Old tractors could be made from many previous units.

Mark

/ Is it a Ford 4000 or a Ford 871 #6  
As others have mentioned, in the last 50-60 years, who knows how many swaps have been done.

Really, the only difference between an 801-series and a 4000 was the sheetmetal/grill and paint.

Yours clearly has sheetmetal of a 801. And the re- paint under that blue is also another clue that it was an 801.

It appears though that the transmission doesnt have that red paint under it.

So, here is what I suspect.....Someone put a 4000 transmission in there, ground off the serial # (who knows why). And then at one point, it was re-painted as a 4000 and a 4000 sticker put on. (which doesnt makes sense why they would grind off the "4000" serial # if there intent was to make it a 4000):confused2:

Of course that could be totally wrong though. Maybe they had a 4000 and over the years, replaced everything with 801 parts Except the transmission:confused2:

One other suggestion for you, and at this point, it really dont matter:

Look for a casting number on the engine block:
310609=1958-1959, would mean the engine is an 801-series
B9NN6015=1959-1960, still would be an 801 engine
C9NN6015=1960-1964, really no help since the switch from 801-4000 was in 1962-1963.

So if it is a c9nn casting on the engine, it really dont tell you much. But if it is one of the other, it is an 801 engine, and I would bet the rest of the tractor is an 801 as well except for the transmission

/ Is it a Ford 4000 or a Ford 871
In response to post by LD1 the block # is 310609 , so as you said that would confirm that the engine part of the tractor is a 801 series. Though the transmission appears to not be original what make me or you think it is from a 4000? Could it not be a newer version tranny still from the 801 series? And which manual would be the one to have? One for 801's or 4000's? Lots of questions! Thanks a lot for your interest?

/ Is it a Ford 4000 or a Ford 871 #8  
In response to post by LD1 the block # is 310609 , so as you said that would confirm that the engine part of the tractor is a 801 series.

Given the engine # AND the sheetmetal....I'd say you do indeed have an 801 and NOT a 4000

Though the transmission appears to not be original what make me or you think it is from a 4000? Could it not be a newer version tranny still from the 801 series?
It "could" be a newer 801 series transission, but as you said...it appears to NOT be original. I am basing my "4000 transmission" theory on only two things. 1st...you said the guy who sold it said 1165 meant NOV 1965. That may be true, or it may be BS, I dont know for sure.

But also... there appears to be NO red paint under the blue on the transmission. There really werent any differences between the 801 and early 4000. Just minor sheetmetal changes, and the color. The 801's were red, the 4000's went to blue. So IF all you your tractor has red paint under the blue EXCEPT the transmission....well I think that answers it.