Ford 640 3 point problem

/ Ford 640 3 point problem #1  

N9zez

Tractor
Ford 640, Farmall Cub
Ford 640 3 Point Problem
Hello,

I just picked up a 1954 Ford 640 that has sat for a few years. Luckily, I got it for a great price and with an included 711 loader with brackets (not hooked up). However, the 3 point is dead. The previous owner said that the hydraulics stopped working a year or 2 ago. I changed all of the fluids in all 3 sumps. They hydraulic and transmission had a good amount of water. There is a plunger style bypass block installed near the 3 point as well. I can physically pick up the 3 point arms with no resistance. When I pull the bypass plunger, I get nothing coming out. I took the air bleeder screw out of the pump and got plenty of flow. It was barely coming out at first, then I went another 1/2 a turn and me, the wall and everything in my barn is covered with hydraulic fluid!

Can anyone help me with where to proceed. I've always loved Ford's and wanted to add one to the collection. I am willing to learn but have a limited mechanical skill set. Your help is very much appreciated.

/ Ford 640 3 point problem
IMAGE_5A375F88-08F2-4994-8185-CC042DEE1D17.JPG

This is the correct forum for this question right?

/ Ford 640 3 point problem #4  
Ford forum or the Ford section of the antique forum will likely get more response.

Is it allowable to post a link in that section to this one?

mostly_gas said:
Ford forum or the Ford section of the antique forum will likely get more response.

I can't find the antique forum. Can you point me in the right direction?

Anyone?

/ Ford 640 3 point problem #8  
do you have flow at the pump .. top plug removed?

if yes.. do you have flow at the accessory plate under the seat with plug removed?

if yes?

but no lift.. unload valve is likely stuck.

top cover kit from the dealer is about 13$ has gaskets and oring to pull top cover.. ten you can free up the unloader.. repalce a gasket and 2 orings ( minimum ) and bolt back down and check.. if that gets her going save the rest.. you will need them eventually.

soundguy

Soundguy said:
do you have flow at the pump .. top plug removed?

if yes.. do you have flow at the accessory plate under the seat with plug removed?

if yes?

but no lift.. unload valve is likely stuck.

top cover kit from the dealer is about 13$ has gaskets and oring to pull top cover.. ten you can free up the unloader.. repalce a gasket and 2 orings ( minimum ) and bolt back down and check.. if that gets her going save the rest.. you will need them eventually.

soundguy

No to both of your first questions as of yesterday. Today, it just started working! Maybe I just needed to get the rest of the watery fluid out of the pump when I got hosed down the other day. Should I go ahead and do the top cover kit? Sounds pretty straight forward.

Thanks again!

/ Ford 640 3 point problem #10  
when you pulled the plug to check flow and it had none.. what you were also doing was bleeding it... probably why it works now.

if it keeps working.. you are good.

if it needs constant bleeding, then it is either a leak at the suction orings on the piping connection pump to the sump.. or more commonly, a shaft seal.

as for the kit?

if it's working and stays workin? save the 13$ imho.. you will have ample opportunities to spend money on a 57 year old tractor as time goes by :) :)

I know I just put a tire on my 1955 ford 850 this morning... :)