Ford 640 oil & hydraulic leaks

/ Ford 640 oil & hydraulic leaks #1  

N9zez

Tractor
Ford 640, Farmall Cub
Ford 640 oil & Hydraulic Leak
I have a new to me 1954 Ford 640. I am in the process of getting some years of abuse corrected. One of the problems I am having is 2 different leaks. The first, was a watered down hydraulic leak coming from near the inspection plate (?) by the hydraulic pump. I have since changed the fluid and the leak is slowing. The fluid was probably a gallon over with water.

The other problem is a motor oil leak. The oil is leaking directly behind the oil pan from 2 spots where the metal meets the transmission. The "holes" are square and are machined to be there.

Thanks for the help!

/ Ford 640 oil & hydraulic leaks
IMAGE_5A375F88-08F2-4994-8185-CC042DEE1D17.JPG

Attachments

• IMAGE_5A375F88-08F2-4994-8185-CC042DEE1D17.JPG
    IMAGE_5A375F88-08F2-4994-8185-CC042DEE1D17.JPG
    649.4 KB · Views: 340
Anyone?

/ Ford 640 oil & hydraulic leaks #4  
The oil leak sounds like a rear main seal. Not having done one , nor sure what is involved in replacing it.
Not sure about your hydraulic leak.

mostly_gas said:
The oil leak sounds like a rear main seal. Not having done one , nor sure what is involved in replacing it.
Not sure about your hydraulic leak.

Thanks for the reply. My service manual should be in any day. However, that sure sounds like a job!

/ Ford 640 oil & hydraulic leaks #6  
if you are talking about oil from the teardrop timing cover, then I'd check to see that the bellhousing drain is open, especially if it's a utf oil you see, as the input shaft may be leaking utf fluid and if the drain is closed.. the clutch will sling it.

/ Ford 640 oil & hydraulic leaks #7  
Are you sure it's a 640 and not an NAA 1954 was the change over at the end of the year, if you have a picture of the hydraulic plate under the seat it would be easy to tell.

As far as the oil leak at the rear of the engine, as stated that is probably the rear main oil seal. These originally came with a rope oil seal but they make a replacement split seal now. I have to do the same thing, if you are getting the IT shop manual I know they discribe the process in it. From what I can tell the hardest part will be removing the old seal. After that the new one is suppose to just slide in, of course that is a big suppose to there. As I said the new one is a split seal, if I remember right after removing the old one (make sure it is all out) you are to install the first half and turn slide it around the shaft, and then install the second half and slide both halves so that the seam is at a 90 degree angle to the rear main bearing seam or at the top and bottom. Then install and tork the rear main install the pan and its all done. Yea like it will be that easy.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm sure it's a 640 as its stamped as such near the starter. It's serial is 1201. I will take some pictures of the locations for better reference tonight. Please check back!

/ Ford 640 oil & hydraulic leaks #9  
no need for more pics.

rear hubs, draft control lever on hyd cover and trans bellhouseing POSITIVELY id it as an oo series with a 4spd trans.. thus a *40 etc..

by sn a VERY early one at that.. first few...

Soundguy,

It's early for sure, even the Ford shop manual I got today says for x00 tractors from 1955-1960. A lot of the parts I find don't even acknowledge the 1955 600 series. They must have not made many in 54. About the pictures, I am going to take them of the leak locations. You are correct about it being UTF coming from the teardrop cover. Where is this potential blocked drain?

As always, thanks!

image-1126292070.jpg