Please help, need to remove gear shift knob.

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #11  
If you're going to try to unscrew it by padding the knob and using a pipe wrench (which is probably the best course), be sure to use equal force on the shifting lever itself so you don't put any pressure on the shifting mechanism itself.
That would be worse than the problem you're trying to solve.

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #12  
I think most gear knobs are about 3/8" so you could possibly find a universal fit one to put back on it (when) it breaks but lots of original Ford parts are still available for those old 8N's

Per this site (Ford Tractor gear shift), there may have been two different 8N knobs.

Steve

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #13  
Definately get some PB Blaster if there are threads, it does not take a lot,
the key is patience. A little squirt every day (if you can) is alls it takes.
Waiting a day between quirts is optimal. Clean the underside w/ a wire
brush first, then start squirting.

I have seen PB Blaster at home depot. It is not smoke and mirrors, the stuff works more than it does not.

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #14  
All the above methods might work, though what i've found works well for me in cases like this, is a piece of thin leather dampened. (damp leather grips better). Use penetrating oil on the knob as suggested, dampen an old piece of about 1/8 inch thick leather, something like an old shoe tongue, wrap the knob with the leather then tighen an appropriate size hose clamp around the knob. This grips the knob around its entirety. The screw on the hose clamp gives a pipe wrench a place to push against without biting into the part itself.

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #15  
All the above methods might work, though what i've found works well for me in cases like this, is a piece of thin leather dampened. (damp leather grips better). Use penetrating oil on the knob as suggested, dampen an old piece of about 1/8 inch thick leather, something like an old shoe tongue, wrap the knob with the leather then tighen an appropriate size hose clamp around the knob. This grips the knob around its entirety. The screw on the hose clamp gives a pipe wrench a place to push against without biting into the part itself.

That's a good idea, Charlie!

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #16  
I've got the same issue on 78 Ford 1600. How did you finally get that knob off?? Good recommendations offered. Also, I can't find a shift boot that fits the 1600, so I'm going to find a CV boot off an ATV.

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #17  
early knobs were small and cast to the shifter.. later knobs were threaded.. most coroded on and have to be damaged to be removed.. then the nut split, threads cleaned and a ne wone put on.

a 52 with the trans cover from a 52 should hav ethe large replaceable knob..

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #18  
To repair the boot if you give up!-- try automotive or marine goop- works great- sticks to anything.
th

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #19  
glue is useless hack patch on the gearshifter boot.

it needs the proper one. and it's not hard to do.

at VERY wort, the old one is rotten internally, and the sleeve is corroded to the threads,a nd the threads are rusted. you twist the handle off, split the collar and remove it.. clean threads and put a new handle on.. OR.. if threads are gone.. lop it off, file down, rethread and put a new shifter on.

it's all of 10 minutes of work.. nothing to have a 20 post thread about. I've done a dozen like this.. .. it's no biggie...

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #20  
The Goop idea will have to work on the boot as I have yet to find the proper shift boot for the Ford 1600. (It's 1 3/8" at the base, 5/8" at the top and about 2 1/4" height.) I've had several local shops order it for me only to find out they don't make them anymore. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the suggestions on the knob.