Please help, need to remove gear shift knob.

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #1  

emmamarie123

Tractor
1952 8n Ford Tractor
Can anyone please tell my husband and me what would be the best way to remove the gear shifter knob so that we can replace the rubber boot? It is really stuck! We don't want to break it. (Been Known to over torque) LOL
Thanks so much for your time and help.

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #2  
The make and model of the equipment you are working on would sure help. If you could post the info. I am sure someone will be able to help you. :)

Thanks and welcome to TBN.
Ken

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob.
Of course it helps.....what was I thinking? :eek: Could you please tell me how we can remove the gear shift knob which is stuck off our 1952 8n Ford Tractor

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #4  
Pics always work to your advantge here...

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #5  
Look at the bottom of the knob, where it meets the shift lever. Is there a lock nut there? If so, back it off (turn it clockwise as you view from above), then you should be able to unscrew the knob (counterclockwise). Unless of course it's rusted on there.

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #6  
Probably soak that thing in PB blaster (or equivalent) just in case.

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #7  
From what I can find it just unscrews. But it may have been on there 50+ years so you may end up having to break it. I'm seeing new knobs for $10 or so.
You could try a strap type oil filter wrench first and if that won't budge it grab a pipe wrench.

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob.
Thank you for all responses.....and so quickly! I am going to try all suggestions until something works- water is getting in because of cracks in the rubber.

/ Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #9  
If you have to use a jawed wrench (pipe wrench, channel locks, etc.), wrap the knob with masking tape or duct tape. Run the tape around the knob several times.
This doesn't always work...and there's a good possibility it won't on a 60 year old knob, but it's worth a try.

Last edited:
   / Please help, need to remove gear shift knob. #10  
That old nob is likely so brittle that if you use anything stronger than a babies hand it is going to crack it, but as you said, it has to come off. Just be prepared to buy another one. I think most gear knobs are about 3/8" so you could possibly find a universal fit one to put back on it (when) it breaks but lots of original Ford parts are still available for those old 8N's