do it your self hydrualic fittings?

/ do it your self hydrualic fittings? #1  

greenthumb

Silver Member
Tractor
tc40, exmark lazer Z
Is there such thing as hose fitting a person can put on hydrualic hose without crimping the fitting on. I guess somthing similar to what you fix a garden hose with. I need to replace a fitting on my old jd. the pressure is low so I am not to concerned about high psi. If there is such a thing can I get it over the computer. Northern tool has somthing called reusable fittings but the operator could not help beyond the cost of them. If i dont have to I would like to go this avenue because the other end of the hose is a bear to get to so I would rather go this route then disasemble and take the hose to the tractor shop. thanks

/ do it your self hydrualic fittings? #2  
From your description a reusable fitting should work. There are portable crimpers that might be able to put a regular fitting on the end if you have enough hose length to get the machine close enough.

/ do it your self hydrualic fittings? #3  
Please do not use the reusable fittings. That is an accident waiting to happen. We lost a customer to one of these. Hoses are cheap when you are talking about lives or body parts. Get a new hose.

/ do it your self hydrualic fittings? #4  
Hose failures are dangerous things. You are better to replace them before they break, and avoid any chances of a surprise.

Maybe in an emergency, a do it yourself fitting will do, but other than that, if you've ever seen a backhoe or FEL lose a hose you can't believe how fast somebody can get killed. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ do it your self hydrualic fittings? #5  
i have never heard of anyone getting hurt by those reusable fittings, i have seen them blow apart when instaled on the wrong type of hose but i have used them many times and never had a problem, a local construction outfit that i have done work for also uses them on all sorts of stuff. as long as you put them together properly , ie insert the hose fully into it before screwing in the center, they seem to grip as good if not better than some crimp it onsite ones

/ do it your self hydrualic fittings? #6  
You have to evaluate your own situation. As others have posted there is an inherent danger associated with high pressure hydraulics. If a hose has room to whip around if an end comes off, anyone in the vicinity is in danger.

I know of one instance in a shop where a tech was testing an assembly. When the hose broke loose, it severed his arm. That didn't involve reusable fittings. He bled to death. I'd still use a reuseable fitting if it was in a location where there wasn't any risk. Keep in mind the reusable fittings take up more room than the regular ones.

/ do it your self hydrualic fittings? #7  
A reusable fitting should be fine as long as its not a piece of junk. I worked for Asplundh many years ago(oooH I'm getting old) and built out quite a few line trucks using "reusable" fittings. They will hold the same pressure as a crimp fitting. Some tips; make sure that your hose is no- skive (means you don't have to cut the outer jacket off before assembly). Cut a chamfer (about 45 degree) on the i.d. of the hose before you start. Get some type O grease to lubricate the hose before you assemble the fitting. Dip it in the type O, assemble the collar on the hose until it bottoms out, but not too far, and then turn the fitting in until it bottoms out against the collar. We used to assemble them using impact guns and I never had a fitting blow, even when we max loaded the lifts during testing.
Hope this helps.
DaveL

/ do it your self hydrualic fittings? #8  
yea thats about what i figure dave,they are rated the same as a regular fitting,and i have seen them used on ariel lifts and other critical situations,so they cant be very dangerous. i think that alot of the trouble comes from the fact that anyone with a wrench can assemble one, whereas crimp on ones need a special tool and thur a little more instruction and or experience usualy comes along with it. both types can be assembled wrong and can blow up. i personaly like the reusable fittings,and i do know how to properly assemble them and have assembled many and never had a single failure or leak on my own equipment or anyone elses that i have ever used them on. its not so much the fitting that causes the problem i think,its more the inexperience that comes along with reusable fittings being so "easy to use"

/ do it your self hydrualic fittings? #9  
There are some fittings that fit on with essentially a big hose clamp type setup.. except it isn't a regular hose clamp.. it is heavy, possibly stamped steel.. and on steroids... still I wouldn't reccomend them for pressure lines.. just low psi returns, or suction lines.. these fittings probably only work for some of the more flexible lines... in other words.. I doubt you'll find these for 4 wire hoses..etc.

Soundguy

/ do it your self hydrualic fittings? #10  
Soundguy,
I think you are describing the band clamps used on return line fittings. They are low pressure clamps for wire spiral reinforced hose.
DaveL