Just a little brag

/ Just a little brag #1  

WillieMcCoy

Tractor
John Deere
I gotta tell someone, I am pretty proud of myself...after retiring from the military a number of years ago, I had nothing to do until I secured a new job. We had the father-in-law's old Farmall A. The engine block had been left with water in it at one point and was welded. The front steering knuckle was brazed and cracked again and in need of replacement. The radiator was leaking more like a sieve, but had been her Dad's. So, with help from a new neighbor and some reading I dug in and started a overhaul. (Remember, I just retired from carrying a weapon all over the world and wasn't really mechanically inclined. Charlie, helped an awful lot!) I'd picked up a newer radiator while stationed out west. Located a newer steering knuckle and Charlie had an engine block. It took me most that summer to do and get all the pieces cleaned up and back to proper fit and function. Once it was painted we put it all together and surprisingly it ran.
I'm sort of a big guy standing six foot six inches and carrying right around two hundred twenty pounds. I don't fit on this tractor very easily. I told my wife it was her tractor and to use it. I don't want it just sitting, but that I can't change gears very well with the stick under my left knee. Now it's set in the back of the garage for the last three years and hadn't started since the summer of 2009 when I made her use it to rake hay.
Well with a little spare time yesterday, I put a battery charger on the battery, put gasoline in the tank and after playing with the battery for about two hours the little girl popped right off and ran just like it did when we parked it three years ago. Nothing but fresh gas and a new charge and it's running fine. I'm just about breaking my right arm smacking me on the back.
Hope you guys don't mind me bragging just a little. For a guy who did most his work with an M-16, I call it nothing short of amazing. Willie

/ Just a little brag #2  
good job,have fun with it,get a bigger tractor for yourself.

/ Just a little brag #4  
Thank you for your your service! Pat yourself on the back for that. No surprise it started. I second find a tractor for yourself. Why let the wife have all the fun?

/ Just a little brag
Thanks for the notes. Oh, I do have bigger tractors; JD 70D, JD 60, Farmall 560, Ford 600 and New Holland 2120. Thanks for thinking of me. Stay safe. Willie