Tractor
    MF 135

Default MF 135 pumping oil out dipstick

My perkins powered MF 135, started pumping oil out the dipstick. I noticed that my usual oil presure of 40, was stuck at 80 psi. At the advice of my neighborhood tractor guru, I pulled the head off. The old gasket appeared ok, no signs of excessive wear or tracking on head or block, no obvious cracks. Other than spilling oil everywhere, the engine was running good. I bought the tractor last year and have only put about 30 hrs on it, trouble free till now. Any suggestions what to go after next? I do my own work because I can- old hot rodder- and generally do a better job, just not familiar with the diesels.

Thanks

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    CaseIH JX95, CaseIH JX80, Allis 190XT, Daewoo DD80L Dozer, Schaeff SKL831 Loader, Komatsu PC40-7 Trackhoe, JCB 210S TLB, JD750, JD820, Kubota FR3680, Kioti Mechron

Default Re: MF 135 pumping oil out dipstick

You have put 30 hours on it or it has 30 hours on it? I'm assuming that since it is a 135 it has a lot more hours than 30. So it is making oil so to speak? In other words the oil volume is increasing? I'm guessing it is a diesel, you didn't say. If it is it is either leaking diesel into the crankcase or water.

Does the oil smell like diesel? Most times when it does the seal between the injection pump and the drive for that pump is leaking and pushing diesel into the crankcase.

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Quote Originally Posted by theviking View Post
    My perkins powered MF 135, started pumping oil out the dipstick. I noticed that my usual oil presure of 40, was stuck at 80 psi. At the advice of my neighborhood tractor guru, I pulled the head off. The old gasket appeared ok, no signs of excessive wear or tracking on head or block, no obvious cracks. Other than spilling oil everywhere, the engine was running good. I bought the tractor last year and have only put about 30 hrs on it, trouble free till now. Any suggestions what to go after next? I do my own work because I can- old hot rodder- and generally do a better job, just not familiar with the diesels.

Thanks
    Is the level of the crankcase oil increasing? If it is, you have a leak into the crankcase. Any sign of water? Does it smell from diesel?

If the level isn't increasing, then you have excessive blowby. Look for worn rings, cracked piston, or burned piston crown. Since you had the head off, I presume you would have noticed a burned piston crown.

Check the oil pump relief valve. It may be stuck closed. That can make your oil pressure rise.
    Last edited by Jerry/MT; 04-26-2012 at 03:00 PM.

G'day first and easiest stop if the oil is thin and smells of diesel is the lift pump a tiny hole in the diaphragm will put fuel into the oil.

Jon