bosch W0133-1675310 alternator -wire up?

/ bosch W0133-1675310 alternator -wire up? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Helping a buddy install one of these alts to his tractor.

it fits a 97-02 dodge ram with a 5.2 ( fits many from 3.9 + ) aand is the 117a version I think.

It's what he has on hand.. etc.

it has the charge lug on back, then a plug near it.

I'm most familiar with old style hitachi alts that use an external chrusler reg.. or old motorola's using external regs.

newer delco 10 / 12 SI with internal regs, and delco cs 130's with internal regs... havn't messed with a dodge alt.

in any case. what can we do to wire it up... I know on most of the others you have to provide turn on power tot he #1/F ( delco 10si ) line and in many cases a source voltage from the bat to #2 for voltage reference ). I know on the cs130 you can get away with a single line to field control with 15-45 ohms of resistance inline.

anyone know the skinny to turn on this dodge alt?

thanks

/ bosch W0133-1675310 alternator -wire up? #2  
one of the first problems you are going to have is this alternator is controlled by the on board computer on chrysler products the molded plug you see there is called a terminal block all it does is turns the alternator off and on 'REGULATES' through the computer if you have access to a test stand hook the hot wire to the big lug and the alternator will go to full field/charge in excess of 16.0 to 17.0 or more voltage output it is the same as checking old generator without regulator hooked up. the actual bosch number is 6-004-ma5-001 this unit was built in south america. you can hook up the old style firewall mounted regulator by chrysler in most cases what throws me is your application is a tractor i will post a rebuilder in jacksonville somewhat close you who can confirm you can do this his number is 904-269-7052 maybe you can make it work good luck his name is bob thomas

/ bosch W0133-1675310 alternator -wire up?
i'm surprised it throws you that the application is a tractor.. :) it's a tractor board.. :)

my buddy used to have a dodge truck that alt belonged to. truck is long gone.. but he has that spare alt, adn his alt died, and he wanted to use it.

I was afraid that it might need ECU for regulation.. adn told him as much. for the price of the outboard firewall reg, he can simply get a 29$ delco 10si 3 wire from autozone , car quest, orielies, etc...

thanks for the info.

I'll pass the info on anyway incase he wants to try the reg.. etc.

thanks for the info.

soundguy

/ bosch W0133-1675310 alternator -wire up? #4  
$29.00, really,,,The delco 10s is that cheap now?I guess it has been made so long and is so big??? I haven't shopped one for years..

/ bosch W0133-1675310 alternator -wire up?
yep.. I just had to pick one up for a case VAC that had no genny or alt on it when I drug it home.

called carquest, napa, autozone, etc. prices were all 29-35$ with 10-20$ cores depending upon who you called. ( 29/15 at autozone )

this is in florida. I imagine the further northeast you go.. they probably grow a few $ etc.

this was the basic 3 wire 63 amp version, regular mounting ears.. not the extended lower ear you could get for a chevette..e tc..

yep.. darn popular and widely used.

in cases where I don't have room for a 10/12 si.. I use the smaller factor cs130 and use a 15-45 ohm resistor for it and run it (2 wire ).. or.. if I find one cheap.. an old external reg hitachi works nice too.. chrysler ext regs are 10$ and cheap / easy to come by...