plow bolts

/ plow bolts #1  

mikehaugen

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 1070
I bought replacement shares for my dearborn 2 bottom and ordered bolts for them as well that matched the diameter of the ones I cut off. The bolts are the right diameter and the fit the holes, but the heads are huge. The bolts are kind of a combination of a flat head and a carriage bolt.

Is this normal and I should just grind them smooth or are they not the right style bolts? There is very little or no countersink in the shares and if I grind them smooth it doen't seem like there will be much left to hold it on. Thanks.

/ plow bolts #2  
By any chance have the heads of the bolts you removed been worn down by soil passing over them? I noticed this effect on my subsoiler point bolts. A good portion of the forward side of the domed head gets abraded away after about an hour in our sandy loam.

/ plow bolts
it is very likely, I was just assuming that the bolt heads were supposed to be flush and smooth with the share and that someone had ground them that way intentionally before using.

/ plow bolts #4  
Do they look like this, with flat heads, or are the heads domed, like carriage bolts?
The type shown have a fair amont of countersink and can be had in tough steel.
Typical use would be fastening cutting edge on a snow plow, rear blade or box blade:

plow bolts.jpg

/ plow bolts
yes they look like the ones in the picture.

/ plow bolts
they just don't go in far enough for the heads to be flush like I would have expected. just wondering if that is normal. The shares that I ordered just had square holes, with a small bevel. Maybe carriage bolts would have worked better? I think I may just leave them as they are gonna hold fine the way they are, and then see if the protruding head is going to cause any problems plowing- I doubt it. I have never used a plow and am looking forward to playing with it.

/ plow bolts #7  
too much shoulder?

/ plow bolts #9  
Are they new or used shares? I have been trying to find a source for new shares for mine without success. When I did have to remove one of my worn shares for some reason I had to torch off the bolts. Standard plow bolts worked to put it back on but I did have to grind down the head due to the worn share.

/ plow bolts
I think you have the wrong plow bolts. Maybe you got oversized heads. Check out this page for the different kinds of plow bolts.
Plow Bolts on National Bolt & Nut Corp.

J.

you may be right, the ones that I cut off look more like the clipped head bolts. the ones I got look like the regular bolts. I still wonder if it would be ok to just grind them down.

Are they new or used shares? I have been trying to find a source for new shares for mine without success. When I did have to remove one of my worn shares for some reason I had to torch off the bolts. Standard plow bolts worked to put it back on but I did have to grind down the head due to the worn share.

they are new shares