Air Impact Wrench

/ Air Impact Wrench #21  
I bought a Chicago Pneumatic 734H last year. Don't know if as good as the IR 231 but it works for me. I think I gave 70 something bucks for it. It has a working torque of 25 to 310 ft lbs and max torque of 425 ft lbs at 90 psi. Average air consumptions is 4 cfm.

/ Air Impact Wrench #22  
Billy, the CP734 is just about the same torque rating as the IR231, and is pretty close to the same popularity. They are an entirely different design but similar performance. I had a slight preference for the IR231 and my brother preferred the CP734 (he liked it because it was easier to reverse directions with one hand). The CP734 has more moving parts and the important thing is to not let it run out of oil in the front end. It's supposed to have 20W or 30W non-detergent motor oil in the front end, and there's an oil seal (just like wheel bearing grease seals only much smaller) in the nose. If that seal wears out and leaks a tiny bit at a time, you may not notice it, but you don't want to let it run out of oil. If you open that little hole labelled "oil" on the side and set the wrench down with the hole at the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position, it should be filled to that level; i.e. half full or about 4 ounces.

/ Air Impact Wrench #23  
I have nearly exactly the same combo and I have no problems using the impact to it's full power. I've never had to stop waiting for the compressor. The 2131 is an awesome gun. I've also used the 231 and the Chicago and both are very good.

/ Air Impact Wrench #24  
Bird,

<font color="blue"> If his compressor will move 6.4 SCFM at 90 psi and the impact wrench is rated to use 5 SCFM at 90 psi, no problem at all. </font>

I understand what you're saying. My comment, however, was directed at GaryK's statement:
<font color="blue"> most impacts use a lot of air, generally over 90CFM </font>

I use my IR-261, 3/4" wrench to loosen the blade bolts on my BushHog Squealer brush hog. It works with my little compressor, but the air runs down fast. I get the feeling the wrench would have even more "power" if the air flow was higher, even at the same pressure (ie 90 psi).

In fact, I have no idea what the recommended or optimum air flow is for an IR-261 or if my little Sears compressor even comes close.

OkieG

/ Air Impact Wrench #25  
<font color="blue"> I have no idea what the recommended or optimum air flow is for an IR-261 </font>
The average air consumption of an IR-261 is 9.5 cfm. I'd be surprised if your little Sears air compressor can supply that. So, you wont get the maximum 900 foot pounds of torque the IR261, an almost $400 tool, can deliver. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Air Impact Wrench #26  
OK, OkieG, I agree. That IR261 would definitely benefit from a higher volume of air; works much better with larger hose, larger quick coupler, etc. And of course the air inlet size is larger for that reason. I've seen cases in which folks thought the IR2131 was more powerful than the IR261, and they were right /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif because they were using the same 1/4" quick couplers on 3/8" hoses for both. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Air Impact Wrench
Thanks to everyone for the comments.

I ordered the IR 2131 from Harbor Freight. I will let you know how it performs when it arrives in a week or two.

John

/ Air Impact Wrench #28  
I am in same situation as you looking for a good impact wrench.

IR is a great tool. Something to think about is you might want to look at getting a long anvil nose. May make life alot simpler.

/ Air Impact Wrench #29  
Thanks for the heads up Bird. I'll keep my eye on the oil level.

/ Air Impact Wrench
I wonder if my AllTrade is made by Chicago Pneumatic. It has a set skrew on the side that you fill with 20w non-detergent oil.

John