john deere 1050 front axle locking up?

/ john deere 1050 front axle locking up? #1  

kip123

Tractor
john deere 1050
I have a 1050 4wd I replaced the left front hub bearings on and after i got it back both front tires lock up when i drive in forward the front driveline is not hooked up on it so i know its not locked up in 4wd it goes backwards fine just not forwards. also when i pick up the front end and turn the tires they spin fine but when i spin on side forward the other side goes backwards? please help thanks

/ john deere 1050 front axle locking up? #2  
I have a 1050 4wd I replaced the left front hub bearings on and after i got it back both front tires lock up when i drive in forward the front driveline is not hooked up on it so i know its not locked up in 4wd it goes backwards fine just not forwards. also when i pick up the front end and turn the tires they spin fine but when i spin on side forward the other side goes backwards? please help thanks

On my 750, I can have the same thing happen. I noticed this when I put front chains on. We only have actual 2wd anyway. One forward tire and one rear tire are the only motivational forces until you lock the rears up with differential lock foot pedal. If you did this on a car that did not have posi or some type of differential lock, the opposite tire would spin in a different direction as well. What you describe is perfectly normal so far. Hook it all up, put it 4wd, and see if the problem persists.

/ john deere 1050 front axle locking up?
but i dont have the front driveline hooked up shouldnt it still let the front tires roll?

/ john deere 1050 front axle locking up? #4  
but i dont have the front driveline hooked up shouldnt it still let the front tires roll?

I can lock up my fronts when in the air as well when in neutral. They will only turn so far. I think they need to be gear driven and these gears engage locking them up when we try to turn them by hand.

so you think i have to have the driveline in to make it work right because before i put the new bearings in i didnt have the driveline in either. i put a new clutch in and never reinstalled the driveline? and it turned fine

/ john deere 1050 front axle locking up? #6  
so you think i have to have the driveline in to make it work right because before i put the new bearings in i didnt have the driveline in either. i put a new clutch in and never reinstalled the driveline? and it turned fine

Not knowing what else you did, it seems not to make any sense that a bearing job would alter wheel spin unless a bearing got dislodged on the reassembly which is highly unlikely. I feel it has more to do with gear engagement that is in your front wheel gear housings too strong to overcome by hand. I am no expert as it comes to the front drive designs of tractors. I do know I can duplicate everything you described including the wheel lock when I try to turn my fronts by hand in order to get the dag nab bit front chains on. This is the reason I contributed an answer as I am reluctant to contribute unless I know what I'm talking about. (or at least what I think I remember these days) I do not know about the whys this does what it does. I simply know that I can duplicate your current situation on my tractor and all is fine with mine or its broken just like you think yours is and I don't know any better:)

:thumbsup: lol thanks maybe the front bearings were just so bad that the gears were not engaging i will try it with the driveline hooked up

/ john deere 1050 front axle locking up? #8  
:thumbsup: lol thanks maybe the front bearings were just so bad that the gears were not engaging i will try it with the driveline hooked up

I am assuming the 1050 is not far away in design as it relates to the 750 as far as fwd housings. I have these little protrusions they call "ears" on mine that have to be straightened but that's if you are taking off the outer drive. Unless a clip was forgotten or some other part and something is stopping the idler gear from turning, I do not know what else could be holding it up other than friction at this point

Attachments

• Scan.jpeg
    Scan.jpeg
    887.7 KB · Views: 1,722