Adventure trying to Get a DANG SEAL: Rant

/ Adventure trying to Get a DANG SEAL: Rant #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Rear axle brake rod seals were leaking pretty good on my 5500. No problem, I know they are pretty easy to change out.

But getting the seals:laughing:

My two closest Ford dealers are:
1. 30 miles east
2. 45 miles southwest

Guess what, each only had ONE in stock.:confused2: This is a pretty common seal. From my researching, it is used on SEVERAL of the "thousand" series for the brake rod. The brake rod takes TWO seals. Why would you only stock one:mad: MIN-re-order point should be TWO. :confused2:

Anyway....no big deal. I'll just cross-reference it to a Timken/national number or a CR number and try the parts stores.

MY seal is 1.125" shaft, 1.565" bore x .400" wide.

That crosses to a Nat/timken # or 50151s. Same dimensions, .375" wide:thumbsup: NO ONE (oriley, autozone, advanced auto, et al) had one in stock. And they were all 2 days out on getting me two:thumbsup:

That national number crosses to a 11067 C-R #. But, CR dont make a seal that wide. Same bore and shaft dimensions but only .250" wide:mad: So I called one of the ford dealers back and asked him to measure the seal he had. Well....the new ford seals are only .3125" wide:confused2: So at this point I am thinking WTF??? His only answer was that sometimes they make the seals a different width so it rides in a different spot on the shaft incase the old seal wore a groove in the shaft. Okay, I can buy into that.

So at this point, desperate to get a seal SAME DAY (yesterday), If I can find a 11067 (the 1/4" wide seal), I will take it. NO ONE had that either. Short of making the 1 hour drive to the NAPA warehouse in columbus:confused2:

So as a last ditch effort, I cross-referenced again to a JD seal # AR1335R. But....NONE of the deere dealers had one either.

So...I ended up having to make the haul to the NAPA warehouse and get two. Also got some filters and other stuff too:thumbsup:

But long story short....Ford dealers should stock these seals in pairs:thumbsup: and NEVER let their inventory get below 2:confused2:

/ Adventure trying to Get a DANG SEAL: Rant #2  
Minimum stocking should be covered in Parts Management 101. You would think the Parts Manager would have figured this out long ago.

/ Adventure trying to Get a DANG SEAL: Rant #3  
Back when I was an auto parts store clerk in Columbus for a now defunct chain called Nationwise Auto Parts, they tried to redo the stock levels in the stores.
They decided that a store would keep in stock the average number of parts that the stores in the zone sold per month.

Now, when you get a customer in wanting to change a camshaft in his small-block Chevy or Ford he wants a camshaft and sixteen lifters. Probably sixteen pushrods and sixteen rocker arms, too.

Seems the average sale per store was FOUR lifters. So that's what we stocked.
Obviously, 1 in 4 stores sold a cam and lifter set.

How many customers want to travel to four different stores to get enough lifters to do their camshaft?

Same for Ford 2.3 liter camshafts and rocker arms. The rocker arms wear out on those things all the time. You need eight. We stocked THREE. Not two, not four. Three! So you need to go to at least three stores to get enough.

We argued with the people at the office for months about this. The office people weren't "car" people and didn't understand.

/ Adventure trying to Get a DANG SEAL: Rant #4  
It's pretty obvious to me that if all the retailers you list had one or zero of these seals on the shelf, there isn't much call for them.
Some of you self-appointed Parts mgt 101 grads that think dealers are going to stock all the seals for a low production 40 year old machine are dreaming. There are about 1.5 million active part numbers in the CNH system. You do the math. That seal didn't start leaking the morning LD1 decided he had to replace it THAT day. If he had planned ahead even a little, the gas and time taken to get the parts wouldn't have cost more than the seals.
There's an old saying. "A lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part."

/ Adventure trying to Get a DANG SEAL: Rant
There isnt much of a demand for ANYTHING that is "inch" sized anymore. Thats why most autoparts stores didnt stock it.

Not sure where else ford used this seal, but when searching the part #, the brake rod seal for about ALL of the "thousand series" comes up. IE: 2000,3000,4000,5000,6000,7000,2600,3600,4600,5600, plus all the others inbetween like the x550's, x500's, etc.

It fits ALOT of models, and always TWO on each brake rod. If they dont stock it, I can understand that because it is an OLD tractor. BUT if you choose to stock it....why stock only one:confused2:

That would be like stocking only ONE of the fuel filters when it takes two to do the job. Just doesnt make any sense to me.

/ Adventure trying to Get a DANG SEAL: Rant #6  
There isnt much of a demand for ANYTHING that is "inch" sized anymore. Thats why most autoparts stores didnt stock it.

Not sure where else ford used this seal, but when searching the part #, the brake rod seal for about ALL of the "thousand series" comes up. IE: 2000,3000,4000,5000,6000,7000,2600,3600,4600,5600, plus all the others inbetween like the x550's, x500's, etc.

It fits ALOT of models, and always TWO on each brake rod. If they dont stock it, I can understand that because it is an OLD tractor. BUT if you choose to stock it....why stock only one:confused2:

That would be like stocking only ONE of the fuel filters when it takes two to do the job. Just doesnt make any sense to me.

Post a New Holland part number, please. The rear axles & brakes are completely different on the 2000 & 3000 as compared to the rest of the models you list, and the dimensions you mention don't come close to matching those of the common brake rod boot (seal) used on Ford planetary final drives with wet disc brakes.

/ Adventure trying to Get a DANG SEAL: Rant #7  
It fits ALOT of models, and always TWO on each brake rod. If they dont stock it, I can understand that because it is an OLD tractor. BUT if you choose to stock it....why stock only one

Imagine shopping for new shoes. You take one you like off the shelf to check it out. Shoe guy says 'You like that? I can order the other one, have it here wednesday.'

There are some things that should be only sold in pairs/sets.

/ Adventure trying to Get a DANG SEAL: Rant
Post a New Holland part number, please. The rear axles & brakes are completely different on the 2000 & 3000 as compared to the rest of the models you list, and the dimensions you mention don't come close to matching those of the common brake rod boot (seal) used on Ford planetary final drives with wet disc brakes.

Well...I cannot confirm what models the seals may or may not fit. All I can do is list the models that "parts websites" say that part # works on.

I dont know a part number. Messicks lists a D2NN number, and then superceeds that to a D9NN number, then to an 818...#???? ANd my local ford dealer refered to a 839#.

You can feel free to look up a 5500 on messicks website and see all of the "superceeds".

BUT...sites like this is where I am getting most of my info...Brake pedal seals. 2-pack. Part number D9NN2N289AA

or this...http://www.tractorpartsinc.com/brake_pedal_shaft_seal_d9nn2n289a_3888_prd1.htm

Either way, I think you are missing my point. My point is simply to stock this AT LEAST TWO at a time. I can understand maybe not stocking AT ALL. Since it may not be a common part to sell. But if you decide to stock it at all, at LEAST STOCK 2

/ Adventure trying to Get a DANG SEAL: Rant #9  
Either way, I think you are missing my point. My point is simply to stock this AT LEAST TWO at a time. I can understand maybe not stocking AT ALL. Since it may not be a common part to sell. But if you decide to stock it at all, at LEAST STOCK 2

Well at least I now know what part you are ranting about. Maybe you can convince CNH to package them in some quantity other than five! The problem with a stocking level of two dictates that the actual stocking level will be 6 on a part that may sell 2 a year or less. As a parts manager, that is poor use of my resources. I'm not going to stock 6 of those seals as a matter of course. But if somebody orders two, I will stock the remaining 3 until they are sold out.

/ Adventure trying to Get a DANG SEAL: Rant #10  
Do you have a bearing supply house like Applied Tech close by? They would be my first choice over a parts store especially if I had an OEM part number or old sample in hand.