MX10 blades banging between spindles, help please

/ MX10 blades banging between spindles, help please #1  

gbugh

Tractor
mx10
Hello all, I just joined this forum. I do volunteer work every month or so at this place with a John Deere MX10 that hit a stump hidden in tall grass. Now the blades of each spindle sometimes hit the blades of the other spindle in an awful loud and unusable way. The blades are bent now, I think more from hitting each other than from hitting the stump, and I had just put new ones on too. :(

All this was told to me by the people their as I haven't seen the thing since I put new blades on it.

If anyone can help me I have a few questions please?

How do I tell if the problem is in the spindles or in the gears?

Is it hard to change the spindles?

Is it hard to change the gears?

Is there a place with used MX10 parts north west of Houston, Texas?

How much does it cost to pay someone to change the spindle near Houston, Texas?

How much does it cost to pay someone to change the gears near Houston, Texas?

Thanks very much if anyone can help, George

/ MX10 blades banging between spindles, help please #2  
On the MX10 the blades on one spindle must be 90 degrees from the blades on the other spindle. This is called blade timing.

Not sure what is causing them to be out of time. Could be a blade holder slipped on it's spindle or the driveshaft that runs gear box to gear box slipped or twisted. I would check and see if you can disconnect the gear box to gear box driveshaft and retime the blades and reconnect the driveshaft.

/ MX10 blades banging between spindles, help please
If the blades keep getting out of sync, that would have to be the gear box, not a spindle problem, right?

/ MX10 blades banging between spindles, help please #4  
If the blades keep getting out of sync, that would have to be the gear box, not a spindle problem, right?

Both the driveshafts to outer gear boxes and the blade holders use splines. If the blades keep getting out time it's possible one of the splines is stripped. You have to determine which one it is.

Have you retimed the blades? Looks like JD uses a double roller chain to coupler two gears (driveshaft to gear box). Any chance the chanin has stretched allowing the gears to jump time?

/ MX10 blades banging between spindles, help please #5  
does each gear box have a slip clutch, if you hit somrthing one of the clutches could have slipped. You may just need to retime each gear box making sure the blades are off set 90 degrees.

/ MX10 blades banging between spindles, help please #6  
only the main splitter gear box has a slip clutch in the shaft from the tractor's PTO

I came on down here. We got the right gear box off and the gear or the gear's spline on the vertical axle seems stripped because the vertical axle goes bump bump bump and just keeps turning without the horizontal axle turning. Does anyone know who would sell a used gear box near Houston, TX? A new one is $1000.46 out of Dallas but I have to buy the bottom piece also because the spline design changed. If I can find a used original gear box from Spain then I can keep my original bottom piece that the blades bolt on to.

/ MX10 blades banging between spindles, help please #8  
Have priced individual parts to repair your gear box? That might be a cheaper option.

I tried pricing just parts but I had a few problems;

The vertical shaft is cracked besides the gears being broken. The shaft part number is not available to purchase even though they have a price for it. I'm guessing it is not available because of the design change after the Spain company went out of business. I need to find either a New Old Stock gear box or a used gear box in good condition else I think I'll have to buy the jumper also.

/ MX10 blades banging between spindles, help please #10  
Have had a JD dealer look for the parts you need? I think a dealer can search other dealers inventorys. Or have way of locating NLA parts