International 444 overheating problem

/ International 444 overheating problem #1  

justcallmev

Tractor
Kubota M9580, International 444
I have an International 444 that I just bought last year it runs well except any time I make it work it over heats. The other day I was using it to disk a two acre field and i was pulling a double six foot disk and it overheated. This does not seem like it should be happening. Can my tractor even handle the disk or is there something mechanicaly wrong?

/ International 444 overheating problem #2  
Could be a clogged radiator or a bad head gasket/cracked head. Many auto parts stores sell a kit that detects the presence of combustion gasses in the coolant (head gasket/cracked head.

You should also make sure that the thermostat is opening fully and that the fan belt and water pump are working.

/ International 444 overheating problem #3  
clean out the radiator core with a garden hose, replace the thermostat & radiator cap and go from there.

/ International 444 overheating problem #4  
Is the fan belt tight? Radiator fins clean? Anti freeze in good condition? Is this a gas or diesel? Could the internals of the radiator be clogged

/ International 444 overheating problem #5  
I second taking a garden hose to the radiator. My IH 424 was overheating and that really did the trick. I was surprised at how filthy the radiator was. Just don't use a pressure washer, really easy to bend fins that way. ask me how I know :)

/ International 444 overheating problem #6  
My 424 is diesel and the radiator was leaking, so I had it cleaned and repaired. I still have to install it however.

/ International 444 overheating problem #7  
I have an International 444 that I just bought last year it runs well except any time I make it work it over heats. The other day I was using it to disk a two acre field and i was pulling a double six foot disk and it overheated. This does not seem like it should be happening. Can my tractor even handle the disk or is there something mechanicaly wrong?

Several possible causes:

Makes sur ethe air side cooling passages are clear dirt and debris.

Make sure the coolant side passages are not scaled up and pass coolant easily.

Check the radiator pressure cap to make sure it works and has the correct pressure rating.

Make sure the belt is tight.

Make sure the thermostat is working correctly and there is plenty of coolant flow when the thermostat is open. I've seen erroded impellers in water pumps that barely move the coolant.

Make sure the lower hose is not collapsing when the engine is at high revs.

If it's a diesel make sure the air fiter is not restricted.

If it's a gas tractor make sure the initial timing is correct and the advance is working. make sure the carb mixture is not too lean.

/ International 444 overheating problem
wow thanks for all the responses. I am going to try all of the above. I shouldnt have to remove the rad to give it a flush should I? just remove the hose at the bottom.

/ International 444 overheating problem #9  
My IH 444 was running hot just recently. I finally figured out that the idler pulley on the belt just needed to be tightened. I thought it was fine because the fan was still turning -- but the belt must have been slipping too because it was getting hot quickly. I tightened the pulley and it cooled right down! Blowing down the radiator also helps a lot if you see debris in there.