Remove and reinstall old tires?

/ Remove and reinstall old tires? #1  

cray54

I'd like to repair a valve stem with a small leak on the rear of an NAA. The tires hold air and the tread is sufficient, but they are ~50 years old. I only want to repair the valve stem if I can do so at a minimal cost (i.e., not replacing any tires).

Would a tire of that age likely be damaged or destroyed in the process of removal?

Thanks - Chris

/ Remove and reinstall old tires? #2  
The tires can be ok, but I often find the tubes to not be worth putting back in - they are typically rusted onto the rim and pitted and too britlle to fix. So I'd suggest at least figuring out where to get a new tube so you are prepared once you get it apart and see what you see. Also you'll likely spend some time getting the rust off the rim.

Getting the bead to break loose without harming the tire can be a bit of a job too, at that age.

--->Paul

/ Remove and reinstall old tires? #3  
If it was mine, I'd try to patch the valve stem first- you may get a few more years out of it.

I'd let all of the air out and try to coat the outside of the valve stem with a layer of silicone caulk. Let it dry for 24 hours and then air it up. Work case scenario is that you've wasted 25 cents worth of caulk and 20 minutes of your time.

/ Remove and reinstall old tires?
I thought this was a tubeless setup based on the valve stem, but may be mistaken. Is this tubeless or tubed?

naa_valve_stem.jpg

If it is tubeless, I may try the silicone idea under the nut that holds the valve stem. I would, however, still be interested in removing the tires this next winter to re-finish / paint the rims.

Thanks - Chris

/ Remove and reinstall old tires? #5  
It is probably tubed. They put those "keeper" nuts on the tube's valve stem to keep it from falling into the tire when they are trying to install it and if you lose pressure.

/ Remove and reinstall old tires? #6  
It is definitely tubed on the NAA. If your leak is under the valve cap, you might be able to put a new valve stem in. If the air leak is around the red ring, your tube is puntured somewhere and will need to be dismantled, tube replaced, rim cleaned up. Is there fliud in the tires?

You can more than likely remove and replace the tire with no damage...........as long as you have the proper tools.

/ Remove and reinstall old tires? #7  
Looks like a tube to me. Don't believe they had tubeless tires 50 years ago?????

Looks like it had fluid in it at one time, if it doesn't now?

Likely a puncture somewhere on the tube, just leaks out around the stem, leak is likely not by the stem?

--->Paul

/ Remove and reinstall old tires? #8  
Don't believe they had tubeless tires 50 years ago?????

Now you make me wonder just when the first tubeless "tractor" tire came out. I do remember the first new cars with tubeless tires, at least in our part of the country, were the 1956 models. In fact, some people were afraid of them, thought they were dangerous, etc. And we had customers buy a brand new Chevrolet from the dealer next door and bring the car directly to us to put tubes in those tires.:laughing:

/ Remove and reinstall old tires? #9  
Now you make me wonder just when the first tubeless "tractor" tire came out. I do remember the first new cars with tubeless tires, at least in our part of the country, were the 1956 models. In fact, some people were afraid of them, thought they were dangerous, etc. And we had customers buy a brand new Chevrolet from the dealer next door and bring the car directly to us to put tubes in those tires.:laughing:

I put tubes in 'tubeless' tires for years. Brand new cars with brand new tires on brand new rims sure are easy to break down. Sold a lot of tubes. Remember 'the customer is always right'. That is what the boss told me, so when a customer wanted tubes in his tubeless tires, I sold him tubes. 5 at a time. lol

/ Remove and reinstall old tires? #10  
Looks like you have some bad erosion of metal around that stem. You may need to do more than put in a new tube. YOU may have to do some base metal build up on that rim at least where the stem is and possibly other places too. If you have a MIG welder, a grinder, drill motor and bits it will be pretty easy after you get all the rust off. Just weld it up solid, grind it smooth then drill in a new hole.
This might be a perfect time to do some good restoration and fix all the pits etc and repaint those old rims with original color.