Kohler Command 20 won't start

/ Kohler Command 20 won't start #1  

Seagraves

Tractor
Bush Hog w/ Kohler Command 20
I bought the Bush Hog mower used with a Kohler Command 20 motor and every once in a while when you tried to start it the starter would just click and the motor would not turn it has progressively gotten worse til now it won't start at all. I have tried charging the battery and jumping it off and it did not help.

/ Kohler Command 20 won't start #2  
Adjust the valves the compression release is not working.
Edit: Most of the overhead valve engines have a compression release feature which allows for the starter to not have to work hard to crank the engine. It's a slight raising, or bump, on the lobe of the camshaft. What it does is open the valve a little early to allow excess compression to bleed off. At speeds over 300rpm, the tappet just sort of floats over this bump and it has no effect on engine performance. But at starting speeds, it's essential or the starter just can't turn the engine over.

/ Kohler Command 20 won't start #3  
G'day and :welcome: it sounds to me like the starter or starter solenoid, if the valve adj/auto decomp was not right it should still turn the engine over slightly, If the flywheel does not move when you try to start then it is starter.

Oh check all your leads and contacts are nice and clean/tight before ripping into the starter

Jon

/ Kohler Command 20 won't start #4  
Kohler Command engines have hydraulic lifters and are not adjustable.

I second the idea of checking the solenoid and starter.:thumbsup:

Jim

/ Kohler Command 20 won't start #5  
If you pull the plugs then try to start it then you see which it is.

/ Kohler Command 20 won't start #6  
It sounds like you are saying you have a Bush Hog brand zero turn mower. I'm guessing it is an "Estate Series". Owners and parts manuals (PDF) ,for these are available at:

Manuals

near the bottom of the page, listed under Zero Turn Mowers. In order to best figure out what your problem is, we need to identify the model year of your machine (Bush Hog lists four different manuals). I suggest you look at the parts manual; it lists models by serial number. Once we know the model year, we can look up the wiring diagram in the owners' manual.

I had a similar problem with my Bush Hog ZTM. Once it was the starter relay (not the solenoid). The other time it was a bad key switch. I suggest you check the voltage at the power wire to the starter solenoid. I suspect you will not be seeing 12 volts, but something significantly less. If this is the case, you will need to trace back to the input and output of the starter relay, and then to the key switch itself. It could also be a bad PTO switch, but that is less likely. If you don't have a VOM you can use any 12 volt light bulb connected between the starter solenoid and ground to see if the starter solenoid is getting the necessary 12 volts. If the light lights brightly, the electrical control side is OK, and the starter and engine must be looked at next.

Good luck. Please post back and let us know exactly what model, and model year machine you have. We can work from there.