Dumb zerk removal/replacement question

/ Dumb zerk removal/replacement question #1  

Folio

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
I have two dumb rookie questions. First, how do you remove a grease jerk in order to replace it? The problem: The little ball in the zerk on the rear wheel spindle (not sure this is the right term) on my brush hog is missing and grease is backing out of it. Pushed a paper clip into the hole and found no resistance at all. No idea what happened to the ball. There are no "flats" on the base, so I'm assuming it doesn't screw out. I can't get any movement with a pair of pliers. I'm hesitant to use more brute force (vise grips, chisel and hammer, or whatever) until I know how it is seated and how best to remove it without creating a bigger problem.

Second question: any tricks in putting in a new one? Results of searches on this site and the Internet all seem to assume we rookies are veterans. Thanks in advance for any help and/or insight.

/ Dumb zerk removal/replacement question #2  
   / Dumb zerk removal/replacement question #3  
Bingo on ripping it out . Vise grips usually work pretty good , Pulling straight up is tough , try rocking back and forth while keeping pressure pulling up . Napa stores usually carry a good assortment . You can also tap it to a new size and thread a new zerk in , thus eliminating the hassle removing it next time .

Fred H.

/ Dumb zerk removal/replacement question
Thanks for the response guys. A false alarm, as it turns out. Checked out a new model at the dealership and the zerk there didn't have the little ball either and the mechanic advised me that's the way they are. No idea why, but there it is.