Ford 4000 Electrical Problem

/ Ford 4000 Electrical Problem #1  

JRohrer

Hey Y'all,
I have a 1963 Ford 4000 tractor, with a 4cyl gas engine & 5 speed. I've got an electrical problem. I just added a 12V conversion and electronic ignition. Everything was going fine until the other day. I tried to start it, it cranked over once, and then the solenoid just started clicking rapidly. So I broke out the test lamp and voltage meter.

First of all, every time I test the battery I just get 11V. I've charged it, but no more than 11V (I guess I'll have to take it to O'Rielly's and have them put it on their machine and check it out). The funny thing is that when I turn on the starter switch, the voltage drops down to 8V. Also, when I jump the "S" & "I" posts the solenoid will click, but very weak and it dosen't click every time. Plus the starter will not turn over, just nothing!

One thing I've got to fess up to...I think I left the starter switch on over night.

Prior to this, when I turned on the starter switch the voltage gauge went right up to 12 V, and the engine would start quickly.

Please help, I'm stumped:confused2

/ Ford 4000 Electrical Problem #2  
Hey Y'all,
I have a 1963 Ford 4000 tractor, with a 4cyl gas engine & 5 speed. I've got an electrical problem. I just added a 12V conversion and electronic ignition. Everything was going fine until the other day. I tried to start it, it cranked over once, and then the solenoid just started clicking rapidly. So I broke out the test lamp and voltage meter.

First of all, every time I test the battery I just get 11V. I've charged it, but no more than 11V (I guess I'll have to take it to O'Rielly's and have them put it on their machine and check it out). The funny thing is that when I turn on the starter switch, the voltage drops down to 8V. Also, when I jump the "S" & "I" posts the solenoid will click, but very weak and it dosen't click every time. Plus the starter will not turn over, just nothing!

One thing I've got to fess up to...I think I left the starter switch on over night.

Prior to this, when I turned on the starter switch the voltage gauge went right up to 12 V, and the engine would start quickly.

Please help, I'm stumped:confused2
11 volts on a 12 volt battery, only 2 things are possible.......bad meter or bad battery. And considering that the starter won't turn..........

/ Ford 4000 Electrical Problem #3  
Sounds like you may have a bad cell in that battery.

/ Ford 4000 Electrical Problem #4  
Assuming you are checking the voltage on the battery POSTS, not connectors or cables, it does sound like a bad battery. Bad connections or cables can mimic a bad battery. Check ground connections as well.

/ Ford 4000 Electrical Problem #5  
Post is 3.5 years old. Hopefully he's got it figured out by now.