Tractor
    ford1715

Default Ford 1715 loss of power then won't start

Got the old 97 ford/NH 1715 out to again this afternoon to mow again. After about 15 minutes it ran out of power and just managed to get it back to the barn. This has been a good old tractor and I have never had much problems at all. I checked the fuel sediment bowl and it was very dirty, so I cleaned it out and installed a new filter. Liked to never got it started again tho.... Eventually it finally started and ran after about 30 trys. I made about one round in the small field and it started stalling again just as before. I checked the sediment bowl and it still looks clear, but will now only run for about 3 or 4 seconds again just as before......... Any ideas where to go from here????

Thanks
    Randy

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Allis Chalmers ED 40

Default Re: Ford 1715 loss of power then won't start

Sounds like the filter isn't the only thing that's dirty. Better start pulling fuel lines and checking for flow. You must have something stopped up, possibly the line from tank to filter base?

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Quote Originally Posted by fordnhguy View Post
    Got the old 97 ford/NH 1715 out to again this afternoon to mow again. After about 15 minutes it ran out of power and just managed to get it back to the barn. This has been a good old tractor and I have never had much problems at all. I checked the fuel sediment bowl and it was very dirty, so I cleaned it out and installed a new filter. Liked to never got it started again tho.... Eventually it finally started and ran after about 30 trys. I made about one round in the small field and it started stalling again just as before. I checked the sediment bowl and it still looks clear, but will now only run for about 3 or 4 seconds again just as before......... Any ideas where to go from here????

Thanks
    Randy
    Once you open up the fuel delivery lines you need to bleed the fuel system all the way from the filter to the injectors before you try to start it! that's why it was so hard to start. It's also a good way to burn up a starter.
    I agree with Harry. There is a also strainer in the fuel tank at the end of the tank valve. Check that. Also make sure the vent hole on the fuel cap is not plugged.

Tractor
    ford1715

Thanks for the ideas, that will give me a good place to start. I hope that might be the cheap solution..... I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Tractor
    ford1715

Well, the fuel lines were still open but the tank outlet was plugged on the inside with rust. Didn't find that until the tank was removed. Checked with the New Holland dealer and they said the tank was no longer available. According to them it will be almost impossible to find another one because of the low numbers produced in just 3 or 4 years production. About the only thing I know to do is to try and get the tank relined. Never had this done before.... or know how good it will work long term!

Not to sure how hard it was to pull off. but Id think you could throughly clean it and re install. and might not have any trouble after..Just my 2 cents worth.
    maybe this will help.
    How to Reline a Gas Tank | eHow.com

JC Whitney - LIQUID FUEL TANK LINER KITS customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Amazon.com: Kreem Liquid Fuel Tank Liner Kit