Ford 1715 loss of power then won't start

/ Ford 1715 loss of power then won't start #1  

fordnhguy

Tractor
ford1715
Got the old 97 ford/NH 1715 out to again this afternoon to mow again. After about 15 minutes it ran out of power and just managed to get it back to the barn. This has been a good old tractor and I have never had much problems at all. I checked the fuel sediment bowl and it was very dirty, so I cleaned it out and installed a new filter. Liked to never got it started again tho.... Eventually it finally started and ran after about 30 trys. I made about one round in the small field and it started stalling again just as before. I checked the sediment bowl and it still looks clear, but will now only run for about 3 or 4 seconds again just as before......... Any ideas where to go from here????

Thanks
Randy

/ Ford 1715 loss of power then won't start #2  
Sounds like the filter isn't the only thing that's dirty. Better start pulling fuel lines and checking for flow. You must have something stopped up, possibly the line from tank to filter base?

/ Ford 1715 loss of power then won't start #3  
Got the old 97 ford/NH 1715 out to again this afternoon to mow again. After about 15 minutes it ran out of power and just managed to get it back to the barn. This has been a good old tractor and I have never had much problems at all. I checked the fuel sediment bowl and it was very dirty, so I cleaned it out and installed a new filter. Liked to never got it started again tho.... Eventually it finally started and ran after about 30 trys. I made about one round in the small field and it started stalling again just as before. I checked the sediment bowl and it still looks clear, but will now only run for about 3 or 4 seconds again just as before......... Any ideas where to go from here????

Thanks
Randy

Once you open up the fuel delivery lines you need to bleed the fuel system all the way from the filter to the injectors before you try to start it! that's why it was so hard to start. It's also a good way to burn up a starter.
I agree with Harry. There is a also strainer in the fuel tank at the end of the tank valve. Check that. Also make sure the vent hole on the fuel cap is not plugged.

/ Ford 1715 loss of power then won't start
Thanks for the ideas, that will give me a good place to start. I hope that might be the cheap solution..... I'll keep my fingers crossed!

/ Ford 1715 loss of power then won't start
Well, the fuel lines were still open but the tank outlet was plugged on the inside with rust. Didn't find that until the tank was removed. Checked with the New Holland dealer and they said the tank was no longer available. According to them it will be almost impossible to find another one because of the low numbers produced in just 3 or 4 years production. About the only thing I know to do is to try and get the tank relined. Never had this done before.... or know how good it will work long term!

/ Ford 1715 loss of power then won't start #6