Stop fuel line slip off very small hose barb ?

/ Stop fuel line slip off very small hose barb ? #1  

bcarwell

Gold Member
Tractor
Kabota 7500DT
I have a gas powered Troybuilt string trimmer and had to replace the rotted neoprene fuel line which is maybe 1/8 inch o.d.and maybe 1/16 or 3/32 i.d.. The fuel line push fits onto a conventional small hose barb on the carb.
Problem is the i.d. of the replacement fuel line is a TINY bit bigger than the hose barb which is maybe 1/2 inch long. The replacement line slides on and off the barb fairly easily. Although I'm not sure it actually leaks I'm sure it will before long or will eventually pull off easily.
Can someone suggest a way to get a tighter fit ? I doubt there is even a model airplane hose clamp that small. I was going to wrap the barb with a wrap of electrical tape but thought it would corrode from the gas and would destroy the retaining effect of the barbs.
Is there some sort of glue or epoxy sealant I could put on the barb that is resistant to gas and would adhere to the metal barb and the neoprene line ?
I don't think I can find a slightly smaller fuel line or if I could I wonder if the gas flow through it would be sufficient.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Bob

/ Stop fuel line slip off very small hose barb ?
Correction- its not even a hose barb, just a small smooth 3/8 inch little metal tube that the fuel line is supposed to slide onto and be retained. So obviously for proper retention the fuel line i.d. is supposed to be slightly smaller than the tubes o.d. But I can only find replacement line whose i.d. is exactly the same as the o.d. of the metal tube, so it falls off with the slightest movement. Grrrrr.

/ Stop fuel line slip off very small hose barb ? #3  
JB Weld ??

/ Stop fuel line slip off very small hose barb ? #4  
Use a small cable tie.

/ Stop fuel line slip off very small hose barb ? #5  
steel wire wrapped around the hose and then twisted tight.

/ Stop fuel line slip off very small hose barb ? #6  
2nd, using a small zip tie.

/ Stop fuel line slip off very small hose barb ? #7  
They make a multitude of different fuel line sizes, and you want to get the right one to fit properly. I had a Weed eater and it had a bastard size hose. I finally found a guy that did a lot of repairs and had the right hose.
They make a metric and a standard size hose, and close does not work.

/ Stop fuel line slip off very small hose barb ?
Wow ! Thanks for taking the time and all the responses and options from JB Weld to ziplocks to twisted wire to another i.d. fuel line that actually fits ! And I had no idea the neoprene fuel lines came in so many dimensions ! I'm sure any one of these solutions will do the trick. Thanks again, I'm really grateful.

Bob

/ Stop fuel line slip off very small hose barb ? #10  
Slide a larger hose over the end of your small hose and then use a small hose clamp. Or several pieces that are sliced longitudinally, one over the other, so they can squeeze down.