Shop Press

/ Shop Press #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
Lately, I've been thinking about buying a shop press, especially now that I've got a tractor to restore. However, I'm not certain which type and size shop press would best suit my needs.

I've looked at several different brands and models, including a 20 ton shop press from Harbor Freight. Their price is great, but the quality of their China-made tools is spotty at best, so I'm a bit leery of them.

20 Ton Shop Press - Hydraulic Shop Presses on Sale

/ Shop Press #2  
I purchased Harbor's Freight's 20 ton shop press last summer and have used it quite a bit. So far no problems. I purchased a Swag HD metal brake kit and use it on my 20 ton press and have bent lots of steel bar, some up to 5/8" thick, with it. If you decide to get it use the 20% off coupon.

/ Shop Press #3  
20 ton is what I have. I would not want any smaller.

/ Shop Press #4  
I bought a 20 ton press from Greg Smith equipment. I wanted the style that has a ram, not a jack, on the top. The hydraulic cylinder can slide from side to side so if working on something odd same it can be moved to line up with the work not the other way around. It has the pump mounted to the side of the frame and can be operated by hand or air power.

I'm sure it's made in China but I'm very happy with it. It's been out in the unheated garage for years now and no signs of rust or fluid leaking. I was able to pick it up, shipping might be expensive.

20 Ton Air/Hydraulic Shop Press w/Gauge

/ Shop Press
I recently bought the Harbor Freight 20 ton shop press mentioned in my original post and have been happy with it so far. Assembly is a bit awkward for one person, but doable. My only complaint is the cheap cast steel arbor plates, which have been reported to have cracked or shattered under high pressure.

Last edited:
   / Shop Press #6  
I have a HF 20 Ton that I picked up a few years ago...Hard to beat for the price, I replaces the plates with some better ones and bought a decent bearing separator, but other than that they're a pretty simple machine. Wouldn't be too difficult a build IMHO if you wanted to give it a try either, then you could make it as large as you want for the price of some steel, bolts, and a bottle jack...

/ Shop Press #7  
If you have patience, watch sale ads in the local papers. Often see presses for sale on farm sales. You can buy used for pennies on the dollar compared to new. I bought a 50 Ton Dake press at the sale of a local auto dealership. Paid $50. It's a beast. Left side of this photo.

DSC00470_zps57e09962.jpg

/ Shop Press #9  
ovrszd : Not only a great deal, The best shop press for general work. Dake makes a powered unit. I found it was hard to judge the pressure & travel. With the manual, I could feel the point when a bearing was bottomed without excess pressure on the housing. Watching a gauge depended on reflexes. Was easy to overshoot.

/ Shop Press #10  
ovrszd : Not only a great deal, The best shop press for general work. Dake makes a powered unit. I found it was hard to judge the pressure & travel. With the manual, I could feel the point when a bearing was bottomed without excess pressure on the housing. Watching a gauge depended on reflexes. Was easy to overshoot.

Yep, sometimes when I'm pressing a long run or multiple runs I wish I had a powered unit. But I agree, the manual allows the "feel". And this press will totally destroy things if you over press. She's a beast.

I felt guilty about the price for just a couple seconds....