Jd 430/what is this oil filler cap for?

/ Jd 430/what is this oil filler cap for? #1  

canucklehead

Gold Member
Tractor
1979 Ford 1500, Toro 455D 10' mower w/ Renault diesel,
I have 2 oil caps under the hood of my JD 430 3 cylinder diesel. There is an oil dipstick and the oil filler cap is obvious on top of the valves.

There is a transmission fluid cap closer to the battery. I sure don't like the lack of dipstick and sight glass tube at the rear for this tranny oil. anyways...that's another whine for another day. :D

There is a second cap marked "oil", but I don't see a dipstick and I don't know what fluid goes in there, or how to check it. Is this the fuel pump? Maybe used for priming? How do i check the level. The dipstick you see in this pic is for the motor oil.

I looked in my JD manual, no reference to it. Sorry, this is probably a stupid question. :ashamed::eek:

JDoilcap.jpg

/ Jd 430/what is this oil filler cap for?
thanks, that helps a lot because now i know what it is for. so why do they have a cap there? It doesn't say anything about adding fuel there. I assumed it might be for priming pump. :confused:

/ Jd 430/what is this oil filler cap for? #4  
I have a JD4300 but it might have the same basic 3cyl Yanmar diesel. I know it also has a second oil filler cap down there. Just another possible spot to dump the oil in when the cap in the valve cover is inaccessible due to air filters etc.....

pat, not sure how similar your 4300 is, but i definitely would NOT dump oil both of 2 oil cap spots. Brokenaxle46 was bang on in his description that my second cap is for fuel system. 2 oil caps makes no sense. Research and find out exactly what that second cap is all about.

/ Jd 430/what is this oil filler cap for? #6  
pat, not sure how similar your 4300 is, but i definitely would NOT dump oil both of 2 oil cap spots. Brokenaxle46 was bang on in his description that my second cap is for fuel system. 2 oil caps makes no sense. Research and find out exactly what that second cap is all about.
There are 2 oil caps on several yanmar Deeres. the engine is used in multiple different applications and one position may not be accessible so an alternate fill is required. to simplify things they make the engine with 2 for all applications. Both oil caps are exactly that, OIL CAPS and they both go to the same sump(the oil pan)
I have 2 on my TNV76 on my 2320. I use the one on the timing gearcase because it is easier to access than the one on the valvecover. you on the other hand would have to take the sidecover off to use the one on the gearcase , so in your case you would use the 1 on the VC.

Last edited:
they are both clearly marked "Oil" in english & japanese. :) so that'd make sense aswell. From the looks of my hard-to-reach cap, it is directly in line with the fuel pump, but maybe it runs down a different passage to feed oil to the sump.