Kubota M5400 Hydraulic Issue - Advice Needed

/ Kubota M5400 Hydraulic Issue - Advice Needed #1  

fixitforfree

Tractor
JD 40, Kubota M5400
I just bought a Kubota 2wd M5400 with a front end loader with less than 700hrs. It's a 1 owner tractor that I know the history of - no problems whatsoever. I changed the hydraulic filters along with the engine oil/filter the other day. Simply screwed the old ones off and put 2 new Kubota filters back on. My problem is I have no hydraulics at all now. The pump apparently isn't picking up fluid. I have no 3pt lift, no power steering, no loader hydraulics and no PTO.

These 2 filters lay horizontal so you can't fill them with oil before putting them on. I don't see a place to "purge" the air out of the suction line between the pump and the pickup in the sump.

Have any of you experienced this on an M series Kubota and what do I do to get the air out of the line? I called my local dealer and he says to jack up the left rear of the tractor since the suction pickup is on the right side of the transmission case. He says if this doesn't work, remove the 2 pressure lines from the top of the hydraulic pumps and poor fluid in them to prime the pump.

This seems insane that I have to do either of the above to prime my hyd pump after a simple filter change. This tractor is like new, never any issues so how is it that a routine hyd filter change merits all of this work just to get the pump to pick up fluid?

/ Kubota M5400 Hydraulic Issue - Advice Needed #2  
You might try a little air pressure on the reservoir fill location to help force fluid into the suction line.

It depends on the levels of the pump and reservoir as to the difficulty of priming.

Air will travel through the circuit back to the tank as you use the hydraulics.

/ Kubota M5400 Hydraulic Issue - Advice Needed #3  
I just bought a Kubota 2wd M5400 with a front end loader with less than 700hrs. It's a 1 owner tractor that I know the history of - no problems whatsoever. I changed the hydraulic filters along with the engine oil/filter the other day. Simply screwed the old ones off and put 2 new Kubota filters back on. My problem is I have no hydraulics at all now. The pump apparently isn't picking up fluid. I have no 3pt lift, no power steering, no loader hydraulics and no PTO.

These 2 filters lay horizontal so you can't fill them with oil before putting them on. I don't see a place to "purge" the air out of the suction line between the pump and the pickup in the sump.

Have any of you experienced this on an M series Kubota and what do I do to get the air out of the line? I called my local dealer and he says to jack up the left rear of the tractor since the suction pickup is on the right side of the transmission case. He says if this doesn't work, remove the 2 pressure lines from the top of the hydraulic pumps and poor fluid in them to prime the pump.

This seems insane that I have to do either of the above to prime my hyd pump after a simple filter change. This tractor is like new, never any issues so how is it that a routine hyd filter change merits all of this work just to get the pump to pick up fluid?

Park it side ways on an incline so the tractor is tipped toward the reservior
and see if that works.

/ Kubota M5400 Hydraulic Issue - Advice Needed #4  
I'm sure you've resolved the issue, but if your tractor/loader is equipped with quick disconnect couplers, you can use one on the supply side to open the coupling seal to evacuate air. Hold the female coupler in your hand, with opening facing away from you. Pull the lock ring back, and press onto the male coupler only enough to open the seal, but not enough to seat the coupler. This will allow air to escape the system. Do this until fluid flows free of air bubbles.