FORD 3000 SHIFTER

/ FORD 3000 SHIFTER #1  

CHUCK5588

Tractor
Hi all, I have a ford 3000. 8 speed diesel. Sometime when I want to shift from forward to reverse the trans want to lock up. I am able to remove the trans cover and put everything back to neutral. But Is there an adjustment somewhere?
I replaced the shifters both gear and speed assembly.
Do i need to look for some wore out parts that are allowing the shifter to jump out of the proper placement ?

/ FORD 3000 SHIFTER #2  
Look on the underside of the shifting plate while a friend tries to shift the levers. I think you will see what is causing the problem. I had a guy do some welding on the underside to fix a shifting problem twenty years ago. I think it had to do with a piece of steel that had broken off that helped align the linkage.

/ FORD 3000 SHIFTER #3  
I reread your post. My 3000 started messing up again sometimes when shifting gears. I noticed if I took my time and moved in a strict H pattern it would be ok. When shifting fast and sloppy there is a problem once in awhile. I think there is wear on the shift gates and shifter rods or guide pin.

/ FORD 3000 SHIFTER #4  
Was looking at mine when I had it off a while back. There's no adjustment as far as I can see, at least not with the shifter handles or any of the hardware that holds them in place. Mine has a lot of Slop but still works if I treat it gentle (No drag racing)

Maybe one of the mechanics can offer more suggestions. It's more that likely as samandmax has said, a combination of everything with a little bit of wear.

/ FORD 3000 SHIFTER
Well it took two attempts last night to get 滴arley that痴 my tractors name, moving again. She got locks up in the back pasture on a down slop, so it took me pulling off the shifter cover, twice, moving around the nubs inside before she broke free, both the high/low and gear shifter were in a bind being the tractor was sitting facing down hill,
Guess next time I won稚 try shifting in reverse while heading down hill.
Has anybody ever replaced the inside shifter nubs ?

/ FORD 3000 SHIFTER #6  
along witht eh shift pattern being worn, is it shifting and getting stuck i 2 gears? if so check the nub on the bottom of the shifter.. also look at the forks for wear... and .. this crashbox was really meant to be shifted when stopped... rolling forward and shifting into reverse sound slike a way to make someting grind or stick.. :)