1973 4500 Ford TLB

/ 1973 4500 Ford TLB #1  

gammer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 4500 tlb
:confused3:

I was wondering if anyone ran into a problem with a 4 speed shuttle shift transmission, would not go into 1st or 3rd gear. I'm having this problem and can't find any info online. if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

/ 1973 4500 Ford TLB
Found the problem myself, for anyone out there that finds themselves having the same problem. What I found is the gears were too tight, so I removed some shims I added, and that solved the problem. Looking for a compression tester that I can use on these older diesel engines. :D

/ 1973 4500 Ford TLB #3  
Found the problem myself, for anyone out there that finds themselves having the same problem. What I found is the gears were too tight, so I removed some shims I added, and that solved the problem. Looking for a compression tester that I can use on these older diesel engines. :D

And just what will you do if they test on the low side?

If one will start and run of that era it means it passed the compression test at our place.:laughing:

/ 1973 4500 Ford TLB
Beside cry!:( lol

I would have thought, with low compression on one cylinder a person would think it wouldn't start. it's blowing alot of smoke out of the valve pan vent, which sucks!

but it still has power, I never got what i need to do and it needs another repair trying to hold out to do an engine job.

/ 1973 4500 Ford TLB #5  
Beside cry!:( lol

I would have thought, with low compression on one cylinder a person would think it wouldn't start. it's blowing alot of smoke out of the valve pan vent, which sucks!

but it still has power, I never got what i need to do and it needs another repair trying to hold out to do an engine job.

gammer did you miss the memo on owning worn out equipment.

If it starts and pulls it is equal to new. :D

Blowing smoke out of valve pan vent is normal for a Ford of that age.

/ 1973 4500 Ford TLB #6  
smoke could just be oil rings.. ;) at least upper end is getting lube!

/ 1973 4500 Ford TLB
Gale,
Some coming out is alright, but this is looks like it’s on fire if you didn't know better. Lol
I don’t understand there lots of power in it
keeps the fly’s far away,

I must have missed that memo, it could be worst, I spoke to a person that knew someone paid $20,000.00 for what he thought was a good machine and got it home in the yard and the tranny went on it. At least I can do my own work, but it would be nice to get some work done.

Anyone know of a good name to buy engine kit

Last edited:
   / 1973 4500 Ford TLB #8  
Gale,
Some coming out is alright, but this is looks like it痴 on fire if you didn't know better. Lol
I don稚 understand there lots of power in it
keeps the fly痴 far away,

I must have missed that memo, it could be worst, I spoke to a person that knew someone paid $20,000.00 for what he thought was a good machine and got it home in the yard and the tranny went on it. At least I can do my own work, but it would be nice to get some work done.

Anyone know of a good name to buy engine kit

Hey I can see it is a fun hobby for you so knock yourself out. :D

/ 1973 4500 Ford TLB
lol

Far from it Gale, but what else is a person to do, it makes no sense to jump around and get pissed. It happened deal with it, get it fixed. I can think of alot better things to spend my hard working money on. What else can you do sell it and get nothing for it or fix it and work it. ;)

/ 1973 4500 Ford TLB #10  
lol

Far from it Gale, but what else is a person to do, it makes no sense to jump around and get pissed. It happened deal with it, get it fixed. I can think of alot better things to spend my hard working money on. What else can you do sell it and get nothing for it or fix it and work it. ;)

Work it comes to mind. :thumbsup:

Sea Foam sometimes can help free stuck rings that may be a path for oil to get to the top of the piston to cause smoke.

If it is not knocking from a bearing there is not telling how long it will run smoking. I expect it sat for many years before you got it due to the issues you have found. Stuff past its normal life span just takes more effort.

keep us posted. You are learning a lot about repairs.