Semi-Fluid Grease

/ Semi-Fluid Grease #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
I'm looking for sources (preferably local) of semi-fluid grease for my Massey 135 tractor's manual steering box. I've read that people often use 0/00 EP grease or corn head grease, but I don't know which type is best.

Suggestions?

Here's a video I found about corn head grease. The video is full of techno-babble, but it looks like the grease gets the job done.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEwk_sYP6A8[/ame]

Last edited:
   / Semi-Fluid Grease #2  
John Deere dealer or Agco (Gleaner) dealer, if a farm dealer should have it on the shelf.

--->Paul

/ Semi-Fluid Grease
I know I can get it at a dealer, and it's usually the first place I check. I was hoping to find alternate sources because the closest dealers I do business with are over an hour away. There is a dealer that is somewhat closer to where I live, but I wouldn't give them my business if they were the last dealer on Earth.

/ Semi-Fluid Grease #4  
I think it would be worth a call to an auto parts place, if they don't have they might be able to get it.

/ Semi-Fluid Grease
I think it would be worth a call to an auto parts place, if they don't have they might be able to get it.

I've already tried that, and as expected, they were completely clueless about different types of grease. They tried to sell me standard chassis grease, which is completely inappropriate for this application.

/ Semi-Fluid Grease #6  
Sorry about that, my favorite auto parts store is very good about working with me until either they get me the part or not. I sometimes forget how good I have it in that respect.

/ Semi-Fluid Grease #7  
I just rebuilt the power steering box on my 135 and on the recommendation of my local dealer I made up a mix of Mobil Delvac Xtreme Service Grease and 85/140 gear oil to fill the box with. The mix is made up with one tube of grease and about a quart of gear oil. It work good.

Jim

Attachments

• 2012-03-026.jpg
    2012-03-026.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 2012-04-15 15.59.05.jpg
    2012-04-15 15.59.05.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 217
   / Semi-Fluid Grease #8  
jd cornhead grease is a 0ep polyurea based grease.

you can get 00ep grease from a snapper dealer, or a sten lubricant dealer.

soundguy

/ Semi-Fluid Grease #9  

you can get 00ep grease from a snapper dealer, or a sten lubricant dealer.

soundguy

I second cornhead grease, I use it all the time....If your JD dealer is too far from you just Goodle cornhead grease...you can order it on line and it is not at all expensive...

/ Semi-Fluid Grease

Cornhead grease is what I'll most likely use. I just hope it smells better than the grease that was in there. It took me a week to get that smell off my hands. :confused2: