Ford 501 sickle bar repair - Help!

/ Ford 501 sickle bar repair - Help! #1  

jshwhite

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740
I'm in the middle of cutting hay and my sickle bar broke down. (Of course, I didn't expect it to happen any other time :) ) I'm not sure what it's called, but the long flat bar that the sections bolt to broke. It's not exactly something easy to weld but I tried anyway and it broke again. I tried welding it again and it broke again.

So, first of all, can someone tell me what this part is called? Like I said, it's the long flat bar that all of the sections bolt to.

Secondly, does anyone know a good place to order a new one? Or am I best off at a dealer?

Thanks

/ Ford 501 sickle bar repair - Help! #2  
Whe1 e are you located (I'm in Mass.)I have several in my barn for a 501 that I sold 25 years ago, but what length do you need? It is called the mower bar and the v-shaped blades are called sections (you rivet them on)

/ Ford 501 sickle bar repair - Help!
I'm in KY. I need a 7ft one. Not sure it would work to get one from you :), but thanks.

I'm going to call the dealer and see if they can get one. It's called a mower bar? I was looking at parts diagrams and thought maybe it was a knife back, but wasn't sure. Thanks.

/ Ford 501 sickle bar repair - Help!
Well, I broke down and got a whole new assembly from the dealer - knife back, knife head and all sections - for $167. I was going to just get the knife back, but then I would have to do all the sections. More than I wanted to spend, but it was in stock and it'll be like new now.

/ Ford 501 sickle bar repair - Help! #5  
Whe1 e are you located (I'm in Mass.)I have several in my barn for a 501 that I sold 25 years ago, but what length do you need? It is called the mower bar and the v-shaped blades are called sections (you rivet them on)

Do you have any left? we are looking for the knife head